Published November 12, 2013
Romeo volleyball upends defending state champ Dakota in regional semifinal
By Jason Carmel Davis email@example.com Follow Jason on Twitter.
STERLING HEIGHTS — There will be a new Michigan High School Athletic Association Class A state volleyball champion this season after Romeo High knocked off defending Class A champion Macomb Dakota in five games in regional semifinal played Nov. 12 at Sterling Heights Stevenson.
The match was a back-and-forth affair, as the teams traded games to get to a fifth and final stanza, which Romeo took 15-11.
Romeo (43-7-4) took the first game 25-20 and won the third game 25-19. Dakota, which ends the season at 39-6-0, won the second and fourth games 25-22 and 25-14, respectively.
Romeo, which has never won a volleyball state title, will meet either Harrison Township L'Anse Creuse or Fraser High in a Class A regional final set for 7 p.m. Nov. 14 at Sterling Heights Stevenson. Romeo last played in a state title match in 1997, when it fell to Portage Northern in a Class A final.
The Class A title Dakota captured in 2012 was the first in program history.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- OAA boys basketball names honor teams - Oakland County
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak