Published November 23, 2013
Notre Dame Prep volleyball takes Class B state title
By Christian Davis firstname.lastname@example.org Follow Christian on Twitter.
BATTLE CREEK — Pontiac Notre Dame Prep withstood a late charge from Grand Rapids South Christian to capture the Class B volleyball state championship.
The Fighting Irish won 25-15, 25-19, 19-25, 25-23 Nov. 23 in Battle Creek.
“The kids were just on a mission this year. They love to play for each other. I can’t say it enough, they’re just great kids. They’re great teammates,” Prep coach Betty Wroubel said. “They deserve everything they get. They just work hard.”
Katherine Carlson led the way for Prep with 25 kills in the match. Dani McCormick finished with 17 and Ashley Knutson dished out 36 assists.
For the Sailors, Taylor Wierenga led the way with 17 kills. Emily Blankespoor finished with 41 assists.
“They are a great team, and definitely the toughest one we played in the tournament,” Sailors coach Allison Sagraves said. “They don’t make a lot of mistakes, but I was proud of my team, they didn’t quit.”
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak