- Football Sterling Heights Stevenson 35 Utica Ford 7 10/02
- Football Romeo 26 Macomb Dakota 14 10/02
- Boys soccer Macomb Dakota 1 L'Anse Creuse North 1 9/30
- Boys soccer Utica Eisenhower 2 Utica 0 9/30
- Boys soccer Troy 1 Troy Athens 0 9/29
- Volleyball Notre Dame Prep 3 Marian 1 9/29
- Boys soccer Utica Eisenhower 2 Chippewa Valley 0 9/28
- Boys tennis Brother Rice 6 Grosse Pointe South 2 9/28
BATTLE CREEK — East Grand Rapids volleyball is the Class A state champion.
The Pioneers beat Bloomfield Hills Marian 25-22, 25-22, 25-20 Nov. 23 in Battle Creek.
“They stayed in the moment, and when we needed that big play, they did it,” East Grand Rapids coach Christine Grunewald said of her squad. “We knew what (Marian was) going to do, that they were well coached, and we had to stick to our game plan.”
The Pioneers controlled much of the action in their match with precision kills and big blocks. Caroline Knoolhulzen led the way with 15 kills. Maeve McDonald finished with a match-high four total blocks.
Jessie Kopmeyer led the Mustangs with 10 kills and Delaney Backonen finished with 18 digs.
“Ultimately, our passing broke down, and once we can’t pass the ball, it hinders our offense. From there, it makes things more difficult,” Marian coach Angela Kalcynski said.
The Mustangs finish the year 51-16 overall. The Pioneers finish 50-5-3.
September 28, 2015
Farmington Hills Harrison
Farmington Hills Harrison earned the honor after beating Southfield High 17-14 at home in a battle for first place in the Oakland Activities Association White Division. The win put the Hawks 4-0 (4-1 overall) in the division, a game ahead of Southfield. After trailing 14-7 at the half, Harrison scored 10 unanswered points, capped off by a 27-yard field goal by Alex Bolstrum with 10:57 left in the game. In the last four meetings between these rivals, each team has won twice with a 4.5 average margin of victory.