- Boys Football Dakota 27 Chippewa Valley 24 9/04
- Boys Football Southfield Lathrup 7 Royal Oak High 21 9/03
- Boys Tennis Troy Athens 5 Rochester 3 9/02
- Boys Tennis Fraser 6 Chippewa Valley 2 9/02
- Boys Soccer Rochester Adams 1 De La Salle 0 9/01
- Boys Soccer Brother Rice 2 Fenton 0 8/31
- Boys Soccer Macomb Dakota 1 Utica 0 8/31
- Boys Soccer Sterling Heights Stevenson 4 Grosse Pointe North 0 8/31
BATTLE CREEK — East Grand Rapids volleyball is the Class A state champion.
The Pioneers beat Bloomfield Hills Marian 25-22, 25-22, 25-20 Nov. 23 in Battle Creek.
“They stayed in the moment, and when we needed that big play, they did it,” East Grand Rapids coach Christine Grunewald said of her squad. “We knew what (Marian was) going to do, that they were well coached, and we had to stick to our game plan.”
The Pioneers controlled much of the action in their match with precision kills and big blocks. Caroline Knoolhulzen led the way with 15 kills. Maeve McDonald finished with a match-high four total blocks.
Jessie Kopmeyer led the Mustangs with 10 kills and Delaney Backonen finished with 18 digs.
“Ultimately, our passing broke down, and once we can’t pass the ball, it hinders our offense. From there, it makes things more difficult,” Marian coach Angela Kalcynski said.
The Mustangs finish the year 51-16 overall. The Pioneers finish 50-5-3.