Published April 26, 2014
Grosse Pointe South boys lacrosse cruises past University Liggett
By Thomas Franz email@example.com
Andrew Hyde scored three first-quarter goals to spark Grosse Pointe South to an 8-0 lead as the Blue Devils went on to win 16-5 over University Liggett on Saturday afternoon.
Andrew Wright netted three goals in the contest, and Robert Carroll scored twice in the first for South, which imporved to 7-3 this season.
"We've been working on diversifying offensively and defesively the last couple days so we have a full zone offense and defense, and that worked today," South coach Don Wolford said.
Chase Urbach, Jack Denison each tallied a goal in the early barrrage from the Blue Deivls.
University Liggett got on the board with 32 seconds left in the first quarterby way of a Thomas Stevenson goal. After a scoreless second, Liggett struck first in the third with a James Jurcak goal to make it 8-2.
South's John Whitney stopped Liggett's momentum with his first career goal, then Hyde scored twice to put the game away for South.
Jurcak finished with three goals for Liggett, and Nikolas Minanov closed out the scoring for South with two goals late in the fourth quarter.
South will host L'Anse Creuse North on April 29. Liggett (2-2) will host Grosse Pointe North on May 2.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- OAA boys basketball names honor teams - Oakland County
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak