Published October 16, 2013
Fraser High defeats Warren De La Salle in overtime
By Thomas Franz firstname.lastname@example.org
FRASER — After 80 minutes of scoreless play in regulation, Fraser High scored three times in overtime to defeat Warren De La Salle 3-1 in a district semifinal Oct. 16 at home.
Fraser forward Matt Lang scored with 3:27 left in the first overtime to put the Ramblers ahead. Lang buried a left-footed shot from right of the net and hooked it in on the far post.
De La Salle responded in the second overtime when Noah Hicks headed in a free kick from Tyler Garrison to tie the score at one with 5:56 left.
After De La Salle committed a foul inside the box, Fraser's Nathan East converted the penalty kick to give the Ramblers a 2-1 lead with 3:57 remaining.
"I just had a hunch, Nate is as cool as a cucumber, and I knew that he was going to go out there and hit his spot," Fraser coach Thaier Mukhtar said.
Lang scored again on a breakaway goal that was assisted by Justin Piccolo to seal the game.
De La Salle keeper Jake Townsley finished the night with 12 saves. The Pilots close their season with a 14-7-3 record.
Fraser (17-0-5) hosts Warren Cousino (3-14-2) in a district final at 7 p.m. Oct. 17 at home.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- College hoops coaches to team up in effort to help ‘beat cancer’ - Bloomfield Hills
- Chippewa Valley senior volleyball standout to take her talents to the next level - Clinton Township
- Lake Shore girls soccer coach stressing continual improvement - St. Clair Shores
- OAA boys basketball names honor teams - Oakland County
- L’Anse Creuse baseball eyeing first division title since 2005 - Harrison Township
- Avondale baseball getting into the swing of things - Troy
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak