Published January 7, 2014
Dakota wins 40th Macomb County Wrestling Invitational title
By Jason Carmel Davis email@example.com Follow Jason on Twitter.
MACOMB COUNTY — Year after finishing in second place, the Macomb Dakota wrestling team came out on top at the 2013 Macomb County Wrestling Invitational.
The finals took place Dec. 21 at Roseville High.
The Cougars, who are coming off a season that saw the program win its first Michigan High School Athletic Association Division 1 district and regional titles, tallied 270.5 points in winning the county title. Three Dakota wrestlers won individual titles at the invite: Alex Bozinovski defeated Anchor Bay’s Tyler Grimsley 11-8 to win the 152-pound title; Jake Johnson won by injury default over Utica Ford II’s Aaron Wells in the 160-pound final; and Antonio Balabani bested Warren De La Salle’s Eric Rogers 15-6 to win the title at 215 pounds.
The win by Dakota, which had an 8-0 record at press time, ends a two-year run for Richmond High. Richmond finished 24th at this year’s event, notching 41 points.
Anchor Bay finished second with 191 points, followed by Warren Lincoln (169), Marysville (143.5) and Romeo (141). Thirty-six teams wrestled in the tournament, including Oakland County teams from Madison Heights Lamphere and Clawson, and Grosse Pointe North represented Wayne County. Those three teams are all members of the Macomb Area Conference.
1. Dakota, 270.5 points
2. Anchor Bay, 191
3. Warren Lincoln, 169
4. Marysville, 143.5
5. Romeo, 141
The rest of the field finished as follows: 6. Warren Woods Tower, 126; 7. Clinton Township Chippewa Valley, 122.5; 8. Utica Ford II, 121; 9. Utica Eisenhower, 116; 10. Warren De La Salle and Roseville High, 109; 12. Madison Heights Lamphere, 107.5; 13. Fraser High and Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse, 100.5; 15. Sterling Heights Stevenson, 100; 16. Algonac, 81; 17. St. Clair High, 65.5; 18. Utica High, 64; 19. Warren Mott, 63; 20. Clawson, 62; 21. Armada, 58.5; 22. Macomb L’Anse Creuse North, 46; 23. Warren Fitzgerald, 44.5; 24. Richmond, 41; 25. Center Line and Grosse Pointe North, 39; 27. Warren Cousino 36; 28. Harper Woods High, Macomb Lutheran North and Port Huron High, 31; 31. St. Clair Shores Lake Shore, 29; 32. St. Clair Shores Lakeview, 22; 33. New Haven, 20; 34. Sterling Heights High 17.5; 35. Port Huron Northern, 8; 36. East Detroit, 5.
Anchor Bay’s Jack Medley defeated Dakota’s Sal Caruso 5-1
Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse’s Brendan Hazelton defeated Marysville’s Brett Bastianelli 4-3
Madison Heights Lamphere’s Trevor Gorman defeated Sterling Heights Stevenson’s Eddie Dickow 13-5
Marysville’s Nick Dunlap defeated Warren Lincoln’s Garret Kaercher 3-2
Marysville’s Austin Thompson defeated Warren Woods Tower’s Nick Pipes 10-6
Algonac’s Santos Alvarez defeated Lincoln’s Robert Pope 12-3
Utica Ford II’s Tevin Machart defeated Stevenson’s Tabu Gantt 15-0
Utica Eisenhower’s Connor McDill defeated Stevenson’s Ty Weichman 20-7
Dakota’s Alex Bozinovski defeated Anchor Bay’s Tyler Grimsley 11-8
Dakota’s Jake Johnson defeated Ford II’s Aaron Wells by injury default
L’Anse Creuse’s Devan Richter defeated Dakota’s Josh Burnham 9-2
Roseville High’s Tyler Tetrone defeated Dakota’s Greg Brohl 4-2
Dakota’s Antonio Balabani defeated Warren De La Salle’s Eric Rogers 15-6
St. Clair High’s Colton Pfaendtner defeated Lincoln’s Michael Abouya 5-1
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Lamerato confident his Hawks will contend when consistency develops - Farmington Hills
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak