Rochester, Rochester Hills
Published August 5, 2014
Championships earned at Greater Rochester Open Tennis Tournament
By Christian Davis email@example.com Follow Christian on Twitter.
The 38th annual Greater Rochester Open Tennis Tournament took place July 28 through Aug. 2 with 165 players participating.
There were 24 past champions that competed and a handful of them again took the top spot.
In the junior events, Nick Klak and Nicholas Ang each won the two events that they had won in 2013. Ang, the No. 1 singles player at Rochester High, has now won 6 GRO titles. Also defending titles they had won in 2013 were Sohum Acharya in the boy's 12 division and Torre Rocco in the boy's 18 division.
In the adult divisions, Lew Hayner continued his dominance in the senior men’s events, as he defended the titles he also won in 2013. Eric Mojica, the 2012 men’s singles champion, returned to capture the men’s singles title again this year. He teamed with Marcin Bak to win the men’s doubles title too, becoming a two-event winner in 2014 along with Hayner. Kevin Friesen teamed with Hayner in doubles both in 2013 and 2014.
Here's a look of the rest of the champions:
Girl’s 12 Singles — Zhanna Dilisio (Rochester)
Girl’s 14 Singles — Kaitlyn Hermann (Macomb Township)
Girl’s 16 Singles — Sara Ang (Rochester)
Girl’s 18 Doubles — Sydney Penrose (Romeo) and Eva Petkov (Washington Township)
Boy’s 12 Singles — Sohum Acharya (Rochester)
Boy’s 14 Singles — Nicholas Klak (Rochester)
Boy’s 16 Singles — Santhosh Narayanan (Rochester)
Boy’s 18 Singles — Nicholas Ang (Rochester)
Boy’s 14 Doubles — Nick Klak (Rochester) and Brett Gurzell (Rochester)
Boy’s 18 Doubles — Nicholas Ang (Rochester) and Santhosh Narayanan (Rochester)
Mixed Doubles — Ritwik Khare (Troy) and Gary Jessee (Rochester)
Men’s Singles — Eric Mojica (Commerce Township) and Pat Hayner (Troy)
Men’s 40 Singles — Shashi Gowda (Rochester) and Pat Hayner (Troy)
Men’s 55 Singles — Lew Hayner (Troy) and Don Diener (Rochester)
Men’s Doubles — Eric Mojica (Commerce Township) and Gary Jessee (Rochester)
Men’s 55 Doubles — Lew Hayner (Troy) and Dan Sarkisian (Rochester)
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Brother Rice struggles in opener but earns split at Divine Child in Saturday baseball action - Birmingham
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- South Lake girls soccer coach hopes to keep league title streak alive - St. Clair Shores
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak