Warren detectives were following several investigative leads Dec. 9, less than 24 hours after a woman was found dead inside the home she rented south of Nine Mile Road and east of Dequindre.
A family member reportedly found the body of Shalisa Lemia O’Dell, 25, inside the home on Garrick at noon Dec. 8. Warren Police Commissioner Jere Green said O’Dell apparently suffered a head wound and was found on the living room floor by a cousin who arrived to check on her.
“Some family members, including her dad, were concerned about her well-being because she hadn’t been heard from in a few days,” Green said. “The cousin who actually discovered the body was watching (O’Dell’s) 2-year-old son.”
Green said the cousin went to O’Dell’s home and entered through a back window when O'Dell didn’t answer the door. The cousin called 911 when she found O’Dell on the floor inside.
“It appeared there was a struggle. There was a lot of blood at the scene,” Green said. “It doesn’t appear to be a robbery. The preliminary indications are there was blunt force trauma to the head. We haven’t ruled out a sexual assault.”
An autopsy was scheduled for Dec. 9.
Detective Sgt. Stephen Mills said investigators were working to establish a timeline to determine when O’Dell was last heard from or seen. Mills said it could have been as long as five days before her body was found.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact Warren detectives at (586) 574-4810.
- 30 DAYS
- Warren sued over alleged persecution of medical pot patients - Warren
- Hive of activity will continue - Warren
- Court dismisses charge against teacher in East Detroit drowning case - Eastpointe
- Michael Loftis pleads guilty to 1998 rape charge - Roseville
- Commission candidates share priorities at forum - Bloomfield Hills
- Traffic study closes lanes on service drive, Main Street near Woodward - Pleasant Ridge
- COPS grant will add two Harper Woods police officers - Harper Woods
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Made in Michigan Festival returns with race, food trucks and more - St. Clair Shores
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township