Woman dies in apparent road rage incident on I-75
Investigation ongoing as police look for other person involved
Posted October 31, 2013
HAZEL PARK — At press time, state police were investigating a fatal crash that occurred on I-75 where two individuals were allegedly speeding in what appeared to be some sort of altercation.
The incident occurred on southbound I-75 near Woodward Heights Boulevard in Hazel Park, around 6:50 p.m. Oct. 29.
Stacie Nicole Pennington, 40, of Harper Woods, was driving a 1998 Cadillac. She died at a local hospital from critical injuries she sustained after being ejected from her vehicle when she lost control while driving at a high rate of speed and overturned.
“We’ve had a lot of injuries and accidents on I-75,” said Hazel Park Police Lt. William Hamel. “There’s an S-turn, also known as the Nine Mile Curve; this happened north of there. We received 911 calls of a rollover injury accident, and rerouted traffic for state police so they could undertake their investigation.”
Witnesses had reported seeing the Cadillac speeding down I-75, along with a GMC pickup truck that continued on I-75 after Pennington crashed. State police are now searching for the GMC pickup truck, described as a late model, white in color, with tinted windows and a recently issued “Pure Michigan” license plate.
State police wish to speak to this individual to determine what happened. In the meantime, state troopers continued to investigate the scene at press time.
It appears there was no alcohol involved in Pennington’s case. She wasn’t wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash.
Hamel said nothing good ever comes of road rage.
“Driving can be dangerous if people become angry,” Hamel said. “They lose focus in their driving abilities, which can result in accidents and injure innocent people.”
Anyone with tips leading to the identity of the driver in the white pickup truck can call the Metro Post at (248) 584-5782 or the Michigan State Police at (800) 525-5555.
About the author
Staff Writer Andy Kozlowski covers Madison Heights, Hazel Park, Madison District Public Schools, Lamphere Public Schools and Hazel Park Public Schools for the Madison-Park News.
More from C & G Newspapers
Grosse Pointe Shores
- 30 DAYS
- Macomb Mall theater structure to be torn down - Roseville
- Fire & Ice with Spice supports #DougStrong - Clawson
- K-2 students adapt with their own tablets - Fraser
- Aging in place is made easier in high-tech era - Metro Detroit
- Blessings in a Backpack program helps 39 Kennedy students stay fed - Ferndale
- Woman stabbed at GM Tech Center - Warren
- Building on Big Beaver goes on auction block - Troy
- Hall Road project planned for 2017 - Shelby Township
- Chippewa graduate to compete on ‘Hell’s Kitchen’ - Clinton Township
- Park concept plan unveiled - Rochester Hills
- Bald eagles spotted around city - St. Clair Shores
- 6 places to purchase the perfect paczki - Metro Detroit
- Man shot multiple times, suspect on loose - Clinton Township
- Local student accepted to MIT - Clinton Township