RosevilleSeptember 20, 2013
Woman in critical condition after son allegedly assaults her
By Kevin Bunch
C & G Staff Writer
A 77-year-old woman has been hospitalized in critical condition following reports that she had been beaten in a hotel parking lot Sept. 18.
According to Roseville police, the woman’s son, Thomas Joseph Gulas, 35, of Eastpointe, has been arrested and arraigned in 39th District Court in connection with the attack, for one count of assault with intent to do great bodily harm, as well as two counts of malicious destruction of property. Gulas pleaded not guilty to all charges.
The department’s press release said that at about 11 p.m., officers responded to phone calls reporting a man beating an elderly woman in the Super 8 hotel parking lot on Little Mack Avenue. The woman was found unconscious and suffering from “extensive” head and face trauma.
“The victim suffered severe head trauma and may have suffered bleeding on the brain,” Police Chief James Berlin said Sept. 20. “Last check, she was still listed in critical condition.”
The department said that witnesses reported a man had been arguing with the woman over the use of her car before striking her until she fell to the ground. The man then reportedly damaged six vehicles in the lot and ran off.
“He broke out the windshields of several cars, side-view mirrors, dents from kicking cars, etc.,” Berlin said.
Police arrested Gulas, alleging that he called his mother for a ride and then demanded her car before attacking her when she refused. It is unknown if the victim will survive her injuries, the department’s press release said.
A preliminary exam date of Oct. 2 has been set. Gulas requested a court-appointed lawyer who had not been appointed as of press time.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi