FerndaleOctober 21, 2013
Woman arrested for OWI after crashing into police car
By Joshua Gordon
C & G Staff Writer
A Detroit woman was arrested Oct. 20 after she allegedly drove her vehicle through a red light at the intersection of Eight Mile Road and Gardendale Street in Ferndale and crashed into a Ferndale police vehicle.
At 11:10 p.m. Oct. 20, the Ferndale police officer was driving his patrol car westbound on Eight Mile when the suspect, 41, ran the red light while attempting to continue northbound on Gardendale, according to Ferndale police.
The woman struck the officer’s vehicle with her Buick Rendezvous, leaving the patrol vehicle disabled after the crash. The officer activated his emergency equipment as the woman fled northbound on Gardendale.
The officer radioed the suspect’s vehicle information and fellow Ferndale officers found the woman reportedly driving northbound on Allen Street with her lights off. Her vehicle was damaged and leaving a trail of fluid behind while driving, police said.
The woman was found to have 12 current suspensions of her driver’s license and several traffic warrants out for her arrest. She had previously been convicted of driving with a suspended license and an investigation indicated that she was drunk during the Oct. 20 incident, police said.
After the woman refused a breath test, officers obtained a warrant and blood was drawn to be analyzed and tested for blood-alcohol content. The results are pending.
The woman faces charges of operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol, leaving the scene of an accident and driving with a suspended license, plus several outstanding warrants.
The police officer whose vehicle was hit and the suspect did not sustain any injuries during the collision, according to Ferndale police.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi