A Detroit woman was arrested Oct. 20 after she allegedly drove her vehicle through a red light at the intersection of Eight Mile Road and Gardendale Street in Ferndale and crashed into a Ferndale police vehicle.
At 11:10 p.m. Oct. 20, the Ferndale police officer was driving his patrol car westbound on Eight Mile when the suspect, 41, ran the red light while attempting to continue northbound on Gardendale, according to Ferndale police.
The woman struck the officer’s vehicle with her Buick Rendezvous, leaving the patrol vehicle disabled after the crash. The officer activated his emergency equipment as the woman fled northbound on Gardendale.
The officer radioed the suspect’s vehicle information and fellow Ferndale officers found the woman reportedly driving northbound on Allen Street with her lights off. Her vehicle was damaged and leaving a trail of fluid behind while driving, police said.
The woman was found to have 12 current suspensions of her driver’s license and several traffic warrants out for her arrest. She had previously been convicted of driving with a suspended license and an investigation indicated that she was drunk during the Oct. 20 incident, police said.
After the woman refused a breath test, officers obtained a warrant and blood was drawn to be analyzed and tested for blood-alcohol content. The results are pending.
The woman faces charges of operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol, leaving the scene of an accident and driving with a suspended license, plus several outstanding warrants.
The police officer whose vehicle was hit and the suspect did not sustain any injuries during the collision, according to Ferndale police.
- 30 DAYS
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores
- No charges for customer who shot accused bank robber - Warren
- Warren sued over alleged persecution of medical pot patients - Warren
- Hive of activity will continue - Warren
- Nurse anesthetists to host Ether Day Frolic 5K at River Bends Park - Shelby Township
- Residents, businesses honored for beautification - St. Clair Shores
- Court dismisses charge against teacher in East Detroit drowning case - Eastpointe
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Made in Michigan Festival returns with race, food trucks and more - St. Clair Shores
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township