WB high school teacher charged with criminal sexual conduct
September 14, 2013
A West Bloomfield High School teacher and girls varsity golf coach was released on bond Sept. 13 after his arraignment for three misdemeanor counts of criminal sexual conduct in the fourth-degree.
Steve Larkin pleaded not guilty in 48th District Court to the charges and was ordered to wear a GPS tether until his preliminary exam Sept. 17. He was released on a $10,000 cash bond.
According West Bloomfield Police Lt. Tim Diamond, the fourth-degree charges allegedly involved inappropriate touching of a former 16-year-old student in a high school classroom in May. Each charge is punishable by two years of jail and/or a $500 fine.
“We obtained the warrants (Sept. 12), and he turned himself in voluntarily this morning with his attorney,” said Diamond. “At this time, these are allegations, and he is innocent until proven guilty.”
Larkin has been with the West Bloomfield School district since 2006, teaching history and social studies. In addition to his position as the varsity golf coach, he is a former junior varsity football coach and former girls varsity basketball coach.
The district placed Larkin on paid administration leave May 31 after the allegation was brought to officials’ attention, according to Pam Zajac, public relations and marketing coordinator of West Bloomfield School District.
Ray Correll, Larkin’s attorney, could not be immediately reached for comment.
- 30 DAYS
- BHMS student to be featured at international art show - Bloomfield Township
- Local teen wins state pageant title - St. Clair Shores
- Guard against Lyme disease this summer - Metro Detroit
- Hartwell announces Madison Heights mayoral bid - Madison Heights
- Accidental fire displaces women, children at shelter - Mount Clemens
- Arts, Beats & Eats organizers boast new partnerships, collaborations - Royal Oak
- Fire at dollar store significantly damages building - Harper Woods
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township