Hazel Park, Warren
Warren man killed in hit-and-run accident
November 27, 2013
HAZEL PARK — Police are investigating the death of a Warren man who was killed when he was struck by a vehicle crossing the street.
The incident occurred at South Chrysler Drive and East Eight Mile, around 7 p.m. Nov. 20. The victim, 58, was walking east on Eight Mile and crossing with the right of way when a vehicle ran through a red light and hit him.
“He was struck, lifted into the air, and when he landed he was run over, the vehicle in motion the whole time,” said Hazel Park Police Chief Martin Barner. “Then, the vehicle stopped momentarily before fleeing southbound. There should be damage to the passenger front headlight area.”
The vehicle is either a 1994, 1995 or 1996 GMC Sierra pickup, either a 1500 or 3500 model, in either black or dark blue. It is said to have an extended cab with a silver “GMC” on the tailgate.
Police have collected witness statements and evidence at the scene. Detroit police were first to respond. The victim was pronounced dead on arrival at an area hospital, having sustained multiple severe injuries.
“All indications point to this being an accident,” Barner said.
The chief said investigations would continue.
“First, this information has been passed onto area law enforcement, to be aware of individuals either reporting some type of damage, or perhaps a theft of the vehicle in these model years,” Barner said. “Often, people will do that to conceal their involvement in this type of incident.
“Second, we’re asking residents to be aware of anyone with damage to the front passenger headlight area of their vehicle, and to call us,” he said. “And most important of all, the person who is responsible for this, they know who they are, and we ask them to come forward, to come to the Police Department and speak to our investigators.”
The Hazel Park Police Department is located at 111 E. Nine Mile and can be reached by calling (248) 542-6161.
About the author
Staff Writer Andy Kozlowski covers Madison Heights, Hazel Park, Madison District Public Schools, Lamphere Public Schools and Hazel Park Public Schools for the Madison-Park News.
- 30 DAYS
- Red Wings score healthy victory at local elementary school - Clawson
- Local potter to represent Shelby Township - Shelby Township
- BHS theater students show comedy chops in ‘Noises Off’ - Berkley
- Wreaths to be laid on hallowed ground Dec.12 - Metro Detroit
- Shoplifter flees store with North Face jackets worth $1,000 - Utica
- Downtown Rochester to welcome Kris Kringle Market - Rochester
- Police seek information on bank hit-and-run crash - Roseville
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights
- Richard Sulaka passes away suddenly at 60 - Warren
- New high school club puts focus on science and technology - Roseville