A 36-year-old Warren resident died at the scene of an accident after losing control while exiting Interstate 696 onto 11 Mile shortly after midnight Sept. 3, according to police information.
He was not wearing a helmet at the time of the crash. The motorcyclist struck the freeway overpass fencing. Police were unsure at press time whether alcohol was involved in the accident.
His 24-year-old passenger, a woman from St. Clair Shores, was taken to a local hospital where she was last listed in “extremely grave condition” with massive injuries to her head. She wasn’t wearing a helmet, either.
“The preliminary investigation has led investigators to believe that the driver of the motorcycle exited the freeway at an extremely high rate of speed,” police stated in a news release. “It is believed that due to the high rate of speed, the victim was unable to negotiate a bend in the road way at the top of the ramp. Unable to make the turn, the victim crashed head-on into the protective wall and fencing that lines the overpass taking 11 Mile Road over I-696.”
The Roseville Police Department’s Major Crash Investigation Team is continuing the investigation into the accident.
- 30 DAYS
- School board member’s Facebook post a ‘mistake’ - Roseville
- ‘Justice for Theresa’ served, killer gets life in prison - Warren
- Suspect charged with carjacking 97-year-old woman - Warren
- Local mom creates app to preserve memories - Farmington Hills
- Plans to connect Troy to the Clinton River Trail proceed - Troy
- Movie theater to undergo $8.5 million renovation - Clinton Township
- New micro housing project receives green light - Royal Oak
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township