Troy man charged with attempted rape of woman in park
Published November 12, 2013
A 17-year-old Troy man has been charged with assault with intent to rape a woman exercising in Bloomer Park in Rochester Hills Oct. 25.
Al Hakam Salmou also faces charges of home invasion and assault in Troy after the victim’s friend saw media reports about incidents in Rochester Hills and Troy and alerted the victim, who identified the suspect to Troy police Nov. 7.
The Troy victim told police that a man tried to gain entry to her apartment on Lovington Drive, near Dequindre and 14 Mile, on Oct. 23. According to reports, she was able to keep him at bay and push him out of her apartment, then lock the door. She was not injured.
In an earlier incident, on the morning of Oct. 12, a man knocked on the door of a home in Troy and asked a young female if her parents were home. The man then walked away, but returned five minutes later and unlawfully entered the home, according to police. He reportedly stayed inside a few seconds, walked back outside, and then walked away.
In a separate incident Oct 25, a Troy resident told police that a man matching the description of the one in the Oct. 12 incident knocked on her front door at about 11 a.m. and asked for directions to Bloomer Park. She said she gave him the directions, and then he asked her if he could use her bathroom. She refused, and he left in a bright-red, two-door sports car with a large amount of chrome details and dark tinted windows, according to reports.
Salmou was arraigned on first-degree home invasion and assault in 52-4 District Court in Troy Nov 8. He appeared in court without an attorney and pleaded not guilty. Bond was set at $10,000, and he was placed on a tether.
According to a police report, a woman was exercising on the stairs near the center of Bloomer Park, located north of Bloomer Road and east of Rochester Road, at 12:42 p.m. Oct. 25 when a strange man, matching the description of the man in the other incidents, approached her. The man told the woman his friend had left him, and he asked the woman if she could show him the way back to a main road. After they left the steps area of the park and entered a wooded area on a side path leading to the Clinton River Trail, the man knocked the woman to the ground, the report states.
A struggle ensued, and the woman kicked the man in the shins. The man left the area and was last seen fleeing on foot. No injuries to the woman were reported. The suspect may have been trying to steal the woman’s cellphone, according to the report. According to the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office, that same morning the man matching the description of the man in the attack approached another woman in Bloomer Park and asked for directions, and later chased her down as she was jogging on a trail and asked her where she had parked. The woman fled from the man, according to reports.
Salmou was charged with criminal sexual conduct — assault with intent to rape in 52-3 District Court in Rochester Hills Nov. 9 for the Oct. 25 incident. He stood mute, appearing in court without an attorney, and was placed on $1.1 million bond with no 10 percent surety. He was also ordered to turn in his passport to the court.
Troy police are asking anyone who believes they were a victim of assault, attempted assault, home invasion or other criminal activities perpetrated by Salmou to contact Troy police at (248) 524-3453.
- 30 DAYS
- Strap in pets and keep them cool in the car - Metro Detroit
- Seeing green: LTU named one of nation’s eco colleges - Southfield
- Lakefront residents continue to deal with stinky muck - Harrison Township
- Fillmore Elementary to close, merge with Black - Sterling Heights
- JLD Designers’ Show House to be back in Park in 2016 - Grosse Pointe Park
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Planet Lori gives kids touched by cancer chance to be young again - Birmingham
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe