A 17-year-old Troy man has been charged with assault with intent to rape a woman exercising in Bloomer Park in Rochester Hills Oct. 25.
Al Hakam Salmou also faces charges of home invasion and assault in Troy after the victim’s friend saw media reports about incidents in Rochester Hills and Troy and alerted the victim, who identified the suspect to Troy police Nov. 7.
The Troy victim told police that a man tried to gain entry to her apartment on Lovington Drive, near Dequindre and 14 Mile, on Oct. 23. According to reports, she was able to keep him at bay and push him out of her apartment, then lock the door. She was not injured.
In an earlier incident, on the morning of Oct. 12, a man knocked on the door of a home in Troy and asked a young female if her parents were home. The man then walked away, but returned five minutes later and unlawfully entered the home, according to police. He reportedly stayed inside a few seconds, walked back outside, and then walked away.
In a separate incident Oct 25, a Troy resident told police that a man matching the description of the one in the Oct. 12 incident knocked on her front door at about 11 a.m. and asked for directions to Bloomer Park. She said she gave him the directions, and then he asked her if he could use her bathroom. She refused, and he left in a bright-red, two-door sports car with a large amount of chrome details and dark tinted windows, according to reports.
Salmou was arraigned on first-degree home invasion and assault in 52-4 District Court in Troy Nov 8. He appeared in court without an attorney and pleaded not guilty. Bond was set at $10,000, and he was placed on a tether.
According to a police report, a woman was exercising on the stairs near the center of Bloomer Park, located north of Bloomer Road and east of Rochester Road, at 12:42 p.m. Oct. 25 when a strange man, matching the description of the man in the other incidents, approached her. The man told the woman his friend had left him, and he asked the woman if she could show him the way back to a main road. After they left the steps area of the park and entered a wooded area on a side path leading to the Clinton River Trail, the man knocked the woman to the ground, the report states.
A struggle ensued, and the woman kicked the man in the shins. The man left the area and was last seen fleeing on foot. No injuries to the woman were reported. The suspect may have been trying to steal the woman’s cellphone, according to the report. According to the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office, that same morning the man matching the description of the man in the attack approached another woman in Bloomer Park and asked for directions, and later chased her down as she was jogging on a trail and asked her where she had parked. The woman fled from the man, according to reports.
Salmou was charged with criminal sexual conduct — assault with intent to rape in 52-3 District Court in Rochester Hills Nov. 9 for the Oct. 25 incident. He stood mute, appearing in court without an attorney, and was placed on $1.1 million bond with no 10 percent surety. He was also ordered to turn in his passport to the court.
Troy police are asking anyone who believes they were a victim of assault, attempted assault, home invasion or other criminal activities perpetrated by Salmou to contact Troy police at (248) 524-3453.
- 30 DAYS
- Legal hurdles cleared for Colonial Dodge site sale - Eastpointe
- Harper Cruise makes for a ‘wheel’ good time - St. Clair Shores
- From sanitarium to state park - Metro Detroit
- Fundraising underway for Roseville boy fighting cancer - Roseville
- Students, parents get charged up for iPads - Troy
- Planners postpone mosque approval request - Sterling Heights
- RARA to introduce new indoor playscape, gymnastics facility - Rochester
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- From combat to car wash: former military man fixes up local eyesore - Fraser
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- Home invasion prevention 101: Fool criminals into thinking you’re home - Metro Detroit