Suspect shot, resident beaten during robbery
September 17, 2013
WARREN — A homeowner reportedly shot an armed robber three times and suffered deep cuts to his face during an encounter on Norma east of Hoover and just north of 11 Mile Road at about noon Sept. 17.
“It looks like the homeowner answered the door, and a guy at the door says, ‘Is John home?’ That’s his brother,” Warren Police Commissioner Jere Green said. “John’s not home. He lets the guy come in and wait for John to come home. It looks like John sells gold out of the house.”
Green said the suspect then allegedly produced a weapon and demanded gold and cash but was shot twice in the chest and once in the side by the 68-year-old resident, who retrieved a handgun from an upstairs bedroom.
“He starts to give him some of the stuff and says there’s more in the bedroom under the bed,” Green said. “The homeowner reaches under the bed to get more gold and comes out with his weapon.”
The homeowner told police a struggle ensued after he shot the suspect and that the two men fought for a few minutes. The resident suffered deep lacerations on his face when he was beaten with the suspect’s handgun.
Green said the suspect allegedly made it to a waiting car and that the driver dropped the suspect off at Warren’s St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital before he sped away. Police continued to search for the suspect vehicle at press time. The suspect’s condition was not immediately known.
Green said the homeowner was also transported to a hospital for treatment.
Police reportedly recovered two weapons at the home and were still in the process of executing a search warrant at 2 p.m. Sept. 17.
About the author
Staff Writer Brian Louwers covers the cities of Warren and Center Line. He has worked for C & G Newspapers since 1998 and is a graduate of the University of Michigan-Dearborn. In his free time, he participates in the Michigan State University Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Program and conducts interviews with military veterans for the Veterans History Project at the Library of Congress.
- 30 DAYS
- Police investigate three suspicious car fires - Royal Oak
- Dakota High School student dead after being found in hospital parking structure - Clinton Township
- Alertness may protect your car, holiday gifts - Metro Detroit
- Teen dies after rollover accident - Clinton Township
- Dakota senior earns Eagle Scout recognition - Macomb Township
- Dead body identified as Hazel Park man - Hazel Park
- You’re still a good man, Charlie Brown - Warren
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights
- New high school club puts focus on science and technology - Roseville