WARREN — A homeowner reportedly shot an armed robber three times and suffered deep cuts to his face during an encounter on Norma east of Hoover and just north of 11 Mile Road at about noon Sept. 17.
“It looks like the homeowner answered the door, and a guy at the door says, ‘Is John home?’ That’s his brother,” Warren Police Commissioner Jere Green said. “John’s not home. He lets the guy come in and wait for John to come home. It looks like John sells gold out of the house.”
Green said the suspect then allegedly produced a weapon and demanded gold and cash but was shot twice in the chest and once in the side by the 68-year-old resident, who retrieved a handgun from an upstairs bedroom.
“He starts to give him some of the stuff and says there’s more in the bedroom under the bed,” Green said. “The homeowner reaches under the bed to get more gold and comes out with his weapon.”
The homeowner told police a struggle ensued after he shot the suspect and that the two men fought for a few minutes. The resident suffered deep lacerations on his face when he was beaten with the suspect’s handgun.
Green said the suspect allegedly made it to a waiting car and that the driver dropped the suspect off at Warren’s St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital before he sped away. Police continued to search for the suspect vehicle at press time. The suspect’s condition was not immediately known.
Green said the homeowner was also transported to a hospital for treatment.
Police reportedly recovered two weapons at the home and were still in the process of executing a search warrant at 2 p.m. Sept. 17.
- 30 DAYS
- School board member’s Facebook post a ‘mistake’ - Roseville
- ‘Justice for Theresa’ served, killer gets life in prison - Warren
- Suspect charged with carjacking 97-year-old woman - Warren
- Local mom creates app to preserve memories - Farmington Hills
- Plans to connect Troy to the Clinton River Trail proceed - Troy
- Movie theater to undergo $8.5 million renovation - Clinton Township
- New micro housing project receives green light - Royal Oak
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township