WARREN — A homeowner reportedly shot an armed robber three times and suffered deep cuts to his face during an encounter on Norma east of Hoover and just north of 11 Mile Road at about noon Sept. 17.
“It looks like the homeowner answered the door, and a guy at the door says, ‘Is John home?’ That’s his brother,” Warren Police Commissioner Jere Green said. “John’s not home. He lets the guy come in and wait for John to come home. It looks like John sells gold out of the house.”
Green said the suspect then allegedly produced a weapon and demanded gold and cash but was shot twice in the chest and once in the side by the 68-year-old resident, who retrieved a handgun from an upstairs bedroom.
“He starts to give him some of the stuff and says there’s more in the bedroom under the bed,” Green said. “The homeowner reaches under the bed to get more gold and comes out with his weapon.”
The homeowner told police a struggle ensued after he shot the suspect and that the two men fought for a few minutes. The resident suffered deep lacerations on his face when he was beaten with the suspect’s handgun.
Green said the suspect allegedly made it to a waiting car and that the driver dropped the suspect off at Warren’s St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital before he sped away. Police continued to search for the suspect vehicle at press time. The suspect’s condition was not immediately known.
Green said the homeowner was also transported to a hospital for treatment.
Police reportedly recovered two weapons at the home and were still in the process of executing a search warrant at 2 p.m. Sept. 17.
- 30 DAYS
- ‘She’s only 8 and she’s been through hell’ - Harrison Township
- Woman bound over to circuit court on child abuse charge - Eastpointe
- Beaumont Hospital tops off Proton Therapy Center - Royal Oak
- Local entrepreneur finds life mission through baking - Clinton Township
- New bill hopes to curb inhumane puppy mill operations - Lansing
- West Bloomfield PD tests out new software - West Bloomfield
- Township board approves expansion of C.J. Barrymore’s - Clinton Township
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores