Sterling Heights man killed in motorcycle crash
September 30, 2013
WARREN — Warren police said a 45-year-old Sterling Heights man was killed in a midday motorcycle crash at Mound and Chicago roads Sept. 29.
According to Detective Lt. Heidi Metz of the Warren Police Department, the victim, whose name was not immediately released pending notification of family members, died after the motorcycle he was operating on northbound Mound struck a car going east on Chicago Road at about 11:20 a.m.
“A witness that was stopped at the light said the motorcycle did not stop at the light,” Metz said. “He hit the car.”
The driver of the Cadillac CTS that was struck by the motorcycle was not injured.
The crash was the latest in a string of fatal crashes involving motorcycles in Warren since June.
Michigan State Police investigators said a 54-year-old St. Clair Shores man was killed June 1 when the motorcycle he was operating struck the median on eastbound I-696 near Dequindre. No other vehicles were involved.
A 58-year-old Washington Township man was killed July 17 as he was reportedly riding home on a motorcycle from his job at Warren’s U.S. Army Detroit Arsenal and was struck head-on by another vehicle near Van Dyke and Chicago Road. The driver of the Jeep that struck him allegedly crossed the center turn lane into oncoming traffic and was later charged with driving on a suspended license causing death and leaving the scene of an accident. The case remains pending in Macomb County Circuit Court.
On Sept. 8, a 74-year-old Madison Heights man died after he apparently lost control of his motorcycle and struck a curb near 13 Mile and Chicago roads. No other vehicles were involved.
About the author
Staff Writer Brian Louwers covers the cities of Warren and Center Line. He has worked for C & G Newspapers since 1998 and is a graduate of the University of Michigan-Dearborn. In his free time, he participates in the Michigan State University Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Program and conducts interviews with military veterans for the Veterans History Project at the Library of Congress.
- 30 DAYS
- Fraser High band to perform at college football bowl game - Fraser
- Driver in crash that killed teen faces murder charge - Sterling Heights
- Local chef, culinary students help those in need this Thanksgiving - St. Clair Shores
- New Fraser council members sworn in - Fraser
- Harper reopened for traffic - St. Clair Shores
- No injuries after shot fired during robbery - Roseville
- Students share words of thanks during holiday week - Clawson
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Hollywood actress partners with Clawson women in warming cause - Clawson
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights