State police investigate serious traffic crash on I-94
By Kevin Bunch
January 20, 2014
The Michigan State Police is investigating a crash on eastbound Interstate 94, at Masonic Boulevard, that left a 19-year-old Eastpointe man in critical condition Jan. 20.
According to an MSP press release, the state police were dispatched to assist Roseville police officers with a potentially fatal crash at approximately 7 a.m. Prior to the serious-injury crash, a pickup truck going eastbound on I-94 had struck the right median wall. The driver, the 19-year-old from Eastpointe, had exited the vehicle and was standing next to it, and Roseville police were blocking traffic to warn drivers while writing the accident report.
While that was happening, a second two-vehicle crash occurred behind the patrol car, a third vehicle swerved to avoid the second crash, and that vehicle drove around the patrol car and hit the pickup truck, crushing the driver between the truck and the wall, the MSP report said. The pickup truck driver was taken to the hospital and remained in critical condition Jan. 21, but he was expected to survive, according to state police.
The state police are investigating the third crash and do not believe alcohol is a factor. The Roseville Police Department directed questions to the MSP regarding the investigation.
About the author
Staff Writer Kevin Bunch covers the communities of Eastpointe and Roseville, as well as Roseville Community Schools and East Detroit Public Schools. He has worked at C&G Newspapers since 2013, and is a graduate of Wayne State University and Henry Ford Community College. Kevin is also a 2015 Metcalf Institute for Marine & Environmental Reporting alumni.
- 30 DAYS
- Police warn residents of IRS phone scam - Clawson
- Fire Department seeks a few good men and women - Troy
- Local chef, culinary students help those in need this Thanksgiving - St. Clair Shores
- Woman dies after police find her unresponsive in car - Royal Oak
- Downtown Birmingham rolls out new logo, holiday perks - Birmingham
- New women’s center focuses on pregnant teens - Eastpointe
- Holiday plays planned in Eastpointe - Eastpointe
- Ghost hunters report paranormal activity at Octagon House - Washington Township
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Hollywood actress partners with Clawson women in warming cause - Clawson
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County