Southfield police opened fire on a bank robbery suspect when he reportedly tried to run the officers over in his car.
Officers of the Southfield Police Department responded to an alarm at the Comerica Bank located at 24770 Telegraph just before 5 a.m. March 15. The alarm company had observed a man stealing cash inside the bank, according to police.
Officers responded, but the suspect had already fled, though police were able to catch up with him at Berg and Oliver roads, police said. The suspect was sitting inside a parked vehicle.
“As officers approached the vehicle on foot, the suspect drove at the officers in an attempt to run the officers down,” Southfield Sgt. Ted Goff said in a press release issued Saturday afternoon. “Southfield Police officers fired their weapons at the suspect, who fled in his vehicle and crashed at Lahser and Eight Mile roads.”
The suspect reportedly sustained a non-life-threatening wound and was treated at a local hospital before being released into police custody. His name had not been released at press time; however, police say they believe he may have been involved in numerous bank break-ins.
- 30 DAYS
- City stunned by loss of councilman - St. Clair Shores
- Three house fires reported in one day in Harper Woods - Harper Woods
- Pit bull awareness effort to benefit Madison Heights Animal Shelter - Madison Heights
- Hive of activity will continue - Warren
- Multitasking your workout - Metro Detroit
- ‘She’s only 8 and she’s been through hell’ - Harrison Township
- Halloween coming early to Red Oaks Nature Center, Golf Course - Madison Heights
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores