Southfield bank robbery ends in shooting, car crash
Published March 17, 2014
Southfield police opened fire on a bank robbery suspect when he reportedly tried to run the officers over in his car.
Officers of the Southfield Police Department responded to an alarm at the Comerica Bank located at 24770 Telegraph just before 5 a.m. March 15. The alarm company had observed a man stealing cash inside the bank, according to police.
Officers responded, but the suspect had already fled, though police were able to catch up with him at Berg and Oliver roads, police said. The suspect was sitting inside a parked vehicle.
“As officers approached the vehicle on foot, the suspect drove at the officers in an attempt to run the officers down,” Southfield Sgt. Ted Goff said in a press release issued Saturday afternoon. “Southfield Police officers fired their weapons at the suspect, who fled in his vehicle and crashed at Lahser and Eight Mile roads.”
The suspect reportedly sustained a non-life-threatening wound and was treated at a local hospital before being released into police custody. His name had not been released at press time; however, police say they believe he may have been involved in numerous bank break-ins.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township