Southfield police opened fire on a bank robbery suspect when he reportedly tried to run the officers over in his car.
Officers of the Southfield Police Department responded to an alarm at the Comerica Bank located at 24770 Telegraph just before 5 a.m. March 15. The alarm company had observed a man stealing cash inside the bank, according to police.
Officers responded, but the suspect had already fled, though police were able to catch up with him at Berg and Oliver roads, police said. The suspect was sitting inside a parked vehicle.
“As officers approached the vehicle on foot, the suspect drove at the officers in an attempt to run the officers down,” Southfield Sgt. Ted Goff said in a press release issued Saturday afternoon. “Southfield Police officers fired their weapons at the suspect, who fled in his vehicle and crashed at Lahser and Eight Mile roads.”
The suspect reportedly sustained a non-life-threatening wound and was treated at a local hospital before being released into police custody. His name had not been released at press time; however, police say they believe he may have been involved in numerous bank break-ins.
- 30 DAYS
- Woman carjacked outside Lakeside Mall - Sterling Heights
- Armed suspect robs restaurant patron - Grosse Pointes
- Berkley, Ferndale named top places for young professionals in metro Detroit - Berkley
- Police searching for serial poop-smearing suspects - Utica
- State says to watch for invasive beetle on Michigan’s doorstep - Metro Detroit
- Motorcylist dies shortly after collision on Gratiot Avenue - Clinton Township
- Man found dead in prayer position in front yard of home - Troy
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- From shipping container to residential development - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Put proper hydration on your summer to-do list - Metro Detroit