Published March 17, 2014
Southfield bank robbery ends in shooting, car crash
By Jessica Strachan email@example.com
Southfield police opened fire on a bank robbery suspect when he reportedly tried to run the officers over in his car.
Officers of the Southfield Police Department responded to an alarm at the Comerica Bank located at 24770 Telegraph just before 5 a.m. March 15. The alarm company had observed a man stealing cash inside the bank, according to police.
Officers responded, but the suspect had already fled, though police were able to catch up with him at Berg and Oliver roads, police said. The suspect was sitting inside a parked vehicle.
“As officers approached the vehicle on foot, the suspect drove at the officers in an attempt to run the officers down,” Southfield Sgt. Ted Goff said in a press release issued Saturday afternoon. “Southfield Police officers fired their weapons at the suspect, who fled in his vehicle and crashed at Lahser and Eight Mile roads.”
The suspect reportedly sustained a non-life-threatening wound and was treated at a local hospital before being released into police custody. His name had not been released at press time; however, police say they believe he may have been involved in numerous bank break-ins.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Rock community ready to roast local show promoter - Roseville
- Farewell to the Field event takes a look back - Clawson
- Tour the chocolate factory with Lamphere High’s ‘Willy Wonka’ - Madison Heights
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- Don’t be behind the curve on roundabouts - Metro Detroit
- Bank robbers detained after high-speed pursuit - Harrison Township
- Kroger receives approval for $25 million marketplace - Royal Oak
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say - St. Clair Shores
- Police investigate fatal single-vehicle crash - Shelby Township
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall - Roseville
- Frankenfoods: Are GMOs as scary as people think? - Metro Detroit
- Man in skeleton hoodie robs 7-Eleven - St. Clair Shores
- Jump for Trevor helps teen in need of a heart transplant - Southfield
- Berkley, Huntington Woods rank in top 10 places to live in Michigan - Berkley