The Road Commission for Oakland County has closed a portion of Drake Road, north of Maple Road, after receiving a report of a sinkhole March 13.
The sinkhole formed just past the Jewish Community Center of Metropolitan Detroit’s driveway, but it is not preventing cars from entering the driveway. Access to the Jewish Community Center will be restricted to the south side.
According to Craig Bryson, public information officer for the Road Commission, the sinkhole is about 4 feet in diameter, and the portion of Drake Road will remain closed at least through the next two weeks while the road Commission assesses the cause of the road failure and the means to repair it.
“It’s pretty large, and our concern is, it’s over a culvert that goes underneath the road. We’re concerned the culvert may have failed and the road is not stable right now,” Bryson said.
Due to the volume of water along the road and in the wetlands, which lie on both sides of the road, Bryson said that the Road Commission will have to wait until the water subsides until they can conduct an investigation.
During the closure, the detour route for through traffic is Maple Road to Farmington Road to Walnut Lake Road, and vice versa.
JCC officials said that the programs at the center will continue.
- 30 DAYS
- Strap in pets and keep them cool in the car - Metro Detroit
- Seeing green: LTU named one of nation’s eco colleges - Southfield
- Lakefront residents continue to deal with stinky muck - Harrison Township
- Fillmore Elementary to close, merge with Black - Sterling Heights
- JLD Designers’ Show House to be back in Park in 2016 - Grosse Pointe Park
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Planet Lori gives kids touched by cancer chance to be young again - Birmingham
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe