The Road Commission for Oakland County has closed a portion of Drake Road, north of Maple Road, after receiving a report of a sinkhole March 13.
The sinkhole formed just past the Jewish Community Center of Metropolitan Detroit’s driveway, but it is not preventing cars from entering the driveway. Access to the Jewish Community Center will be restricted to the south side.
According to Craig Bryson, public information officer for the Road Commission, the sinkhole is about 4 feet in diameter, and the portion of Drake Road will remain closed at least through the next two weeks while the road Commission assesses the cause of the road failure and the means to repair it.
“It’s pretty large, and our concern is, it’s over a culvert that goes underneath the road. We’re concerned the culvert may have failed and the road is not stable right now,” Bryson said.
Due to the volume of water along the road and in the wetlands, which lie on both sides of the road, Bryson said that the Road Commission will have to wait until the water subsides until they can conduct an investigation.
During the closure, the detour route for through traffic is Maple Road to Farmington Road to Walnut Lake Road, and vice versa.
JCC officials said that the programs at the center will continue.
- 30 DAYS
- School board member’s Facebook post a ‘mistake’ - Roseville
- ‘Justice for Theresa’ served, killer gets life in prison - Warren
- Suspect charged with carjacking 97-year-old woman - Warren
- Local mom creates app to preserve memories - Farmington Hills
- Plans to connect Troy to the Clinton River Trail proceed - Troy
- Movie theater to undergo $8.5 million renovation - Clinton Township
- New micro housing project receives green light - Royal Oak
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township