Sinkhole closes Drake Road
March 14, 2014
The Road Commission for Oakland County has closed a portion of Drake Road, north of Maple Road, after receiving a report of a sinkhole March 13.
The sinkhole formed just past the Jewish Community Center of Metropolitan Detroit’s driveway, but it is not preventing cars from entering the driveway. Access to the Jewish Community Center will be restricted to the south side.
According to Craig Bryson, public information officer for the Road Commission, the sinkhole is about 4 feet in diameter, and the portion of Drake Road will remain closed at least through the next two weeks while the road Commission assesses the cause of the road failure and the means to repair it.
“It’s pretty large, and our concern is, it’s over a culvert that goes underneath the road. We’re concerned the culvert may have failed and the road is not stable right now,” Bryson said.
Due to the volume of water along the road and in the wetlands, which lie on both sides of the road, Bryson said that the Road Commission will have to wait until the water subsides until they can conduct an investigation.
During the closure, the detour route for through traffic is Maple Road to Farmington Road to Walnut Lake Road, and vice versa.
JCC officials said that the programs at the center will continue.
About the author
Staff Writer Cari DeLamielleure-Scott covers West Bloomfield, Orchard Lake, Keego Harbor, Sylvan Lake and the West Bloomfield Schools and Walled Lake Community Schools districts for the Beacon. Cari has worked for C & G Newspapers since 2013 and attended Madonna University.
- 30 DAYS
- Police warn residents of IRS phone scam - Clawson
- Fire Department seeks a few good men and women - Troy
- Local chef, culinary students help those in need this Thanksgiving - St. Clair Shores
- Woman dies after police find her unresponsive in car - Royal Oak
- Downtown Birmingham rolls out new logo, holiday perks - Birmingham
- New women’s center focuses on pregnant teens - Eastpointe
- Holiday plays planned in Eastpointe - Eastpointe
- Ghost hunters report paranormal activity at Octagon House - Washington Township
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Hollywood actress partners with Clawson women in warming cause - Clawson
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County