Senior dies after crash on 12 Mile Road
Posted October 22, 2013
WARREN — Police said an investigation into an Oct. 18 two-car crash on 12 Mile Road remained ongoing this week after a 75-year-old Warren man later died at the hospital.
Warren Police Lt. Heidi Metz said the man involved in the crash near the St. Faustina Church, east of Schoenherr, at 9:40 a.m. had been treated for a leg injury. She said investigators later learned the man died at the hospital and that an investigation into the crash and the man’s death was ongoing.
“At the scene, he had only a broken leg. We were notified later he died,” Metz said. “He was talking at the scene and everything. We were surprised when we got a call from the hospital.”
Metz said the police report on the accident indicated the vehicle driven by the deceased man had pulled out of the church parking lot and onto eastbound 12 Mile where his blue Chevrolet was struck by a black Jeep heading west, driven by a 62-year-old Warren woman. The Chevy was struck on the driver’s door and the Jeep suffered damage to the front end.
“He was broadsided. The question is whether he pulled out in front of her or what,” Metz said.
The driver of the Jeep was also transported to the hospital but Metz said neither driver had injuries that were believed to be serious. She said detectives would speak with witnesses to determine if any other factors contributed to the crash.
An autopsy would likely be conducted to determine what caused the man’s death.
Anyone with information about the crash can reach Warren detectives at (586) 574-4810.
About the author
Staff Writer Brian Louwers covers the cities of Warren and Center Line. He has worked for C & G Newspapers since 1998 and is a graduate of the University of Michigan-Dearborn. In his free time, he participates in the Michigan State University Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Program and conducts interviews with military veterans for the Veterans History Project at the Library of Congress.
More from C & G Newspapers
Grosse Pointe Shores
- 30 DAYS
- Macomb Mall theater structure to be torn down - Roseville
- Fire & Ice with Spice supports #DougStrong - Clawson
- K-2 students adapt with their own tablets - Fraser
- Aging in place is made easier in high-tech era - Metro Detroit
- Blessings in a Backpack program helps 39 Kennedy students stay fed - Ferndale
- Woman stabbed at GM Tech Center - Warren
- Building on Big Beaver goes on auction block - Troy
- Hall Road project planned for 2017 - Shelby Township
- Chippewa graduate to compete on ‘Hell’s Kitchen’ - Clinton Township
- Park concept plan unveiled - Rochester Hills
- Bald eagles spotted around city - St. Clair Shores
- 6 places to purchase the perfect paczki - Metro Detroit
- Man shot multiple times, suspect on loose - Clinton Township
- Local student accepted to MIT - Clinton Township