WARREN — Police said an investigation into an Oct. 18 two-car crash on 12 Mile Road remained ongoing this week after a 75-year-old Warren man later died at the hospital.
Warren Police Lt. Heidi Metz said the man involved in the crash near the St. Faustina Church, east of Schoenherr, at 9:40 a.m. had been treated for a leg injury. She said investigators later learned the man died at the hospital and that an investigation into the crash and the man’s death was ongoing.
“At the scene, he had only a broken leg. We were notified later he died,” Metz said. “He was talking at the scene and everything. We were surprised when we got a call from the hospital.”
Metz said the police report on the accident indicated the vehicle driven by the deceased man had pulled out of the church parking lot and onto eastbound 12 Mile where his blue Chevrolet was struck by a black Jeep heading west, driven by a 62-year-old Warren woman. The Chevy was struck on the driver’s door and the Jeep suffered damage to the front end.
“He was broadsided. The question is whether he pulled out in front of her or what,” Metz said.
The driver of the Jeep was also transported to the hospital but Metz said neither driver had injuries that were believed to be serious. She said detectives would speak with witnesses to determine if any other factors contributed to the crash.
An autopsy would likely be conducted to determine what caused the man’s death.
Anyone with information about the crash can reach Warren detectives at (586) 574-4810.
- 30 DAYS
- Wading through uncertainty - Ferndale
- Voters say no to Proposal 1 - Metro Detroit
- Birmingham Public Schools bond approved - Birmingham
- The Riviera opens with special effects - Farmington Hills
- Grosse Pointe Schools chooses its new superintendent - Grosse Pointes
- School bond fails in Lake Shore - St. Clair Shores
- Bloomfield Hills Schools bond approved - Bloomfield Township
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say - St. Clair Shores
- Police investigate fatal single-vehicle crash - Shelby Township
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall - Roseville
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- Jump for Trevor helps teen in need of a heart transplant - Southfield
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Farewell to the Field event takes a look back - Clawson