FRASER — A man who reportedly collected thousands of dollars to fix a church roof and did no actual work is facing a court date.
Joseph Delmaro, 28, of Macomb Township identified himself as the owner of Watertight Roofing, a company hired by St. John Lutheran Church in Fraser in regard to roof issues.
The church, located on 14 Mile Road, contacted Delmaro in September, and the work was allegedly completed in October. Delmaro collected $4,000 from the job: $2,000 before starting the job and $2,000 after it was finished.
Church employees later found that no work was reportedly done at all.
When police tried to question Delmaro at his home in Macomb Township in early November, he allegedly wasn’t home.
“We think he took off because he knows we are looking for him,” said Fraser Lt. Dan Kolke, prior to Delmaro’s arrest and court sentencing.
Kolke said Delmaro was arrested and arraigned Nov. 6 on charges of larceny by conversion over $1,000. He was sentenced to a Nov. 13 preliminary exam at 39th District Court in Roseville.
“If (a business transaction is) over $1,000, it’s a felony,” Kolke said. “It means they told somebody they would do something, and a person or business gives money and they don’t complete the job.”
Delmaro posted $10,000 bond on Nov. 6.
According to Kolke, this is not the first time Delmaro has deceived a church.
In 2009, he supposedly pulled the same trick on a church in Shelby Township. Kolke said that after what happened in Fraser, the church in Shelby Township may also be more inclined to look more thoroughly into that past situation.
- 30 DAYS
- ‘She’s only 8 and she’s been through hell’ - Harrison Township
- Woman bound over to circuit court on child abuse charge - Eastpointe
- Beaumont Hospital tops off Proton Therapy Center - Royal Oak
- Local entrepreneur finds life mission through baking - Clinton Township
- New bill hopes to curb inhumane puppy mill operations - Lansing
- West Bloomfield PD tests out new software - West Bloomfield
- Township board approves expansion of C.J. Barrymore’s - Clinton Township
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores