Police nab suspect wearing Iron Man mask as he flees from store
Published November 6, 2013
The Iron Man mask a 26-year-old Shelby Township man wore did nothing to help him elude police capture after an officer reportedly saw him run out of a cellphone store that had been broken into.
According to police, an alarm sounded just after 11 p.m. Nov. 3 at the T-Mobile store in a strip mall at 785 E. Big Beaver, summoning police.
The first officer on the scene knew that similar breaking and entering crimes had occurred in Warren and Sterling Heights, said Troy police Sgt. Andy Breidenich.
In those incidents, the suspect or suspects entered a business next to a cellphone store and broke through drywall material to gain entry, Breidenich said.
The officer positioned himself for a good view of the store and saw two men wearing masks run through to the back door. The officer ran around the strip mall to the back of the store, saw the men exit the store and then gave chase, according to reports.
The officer identified himself, and one man fled the scene. The man police say wore the Iron Man mask, Chris Peter Awadish, stopped for police and was arrested.
He was arraigned in 52-4 District Court Nov. 5 on one count of breaking and entering with intent, a 10-year felony. Bond was set at $25,000 cash/surety.
Troy police are working to indentify the second suspect.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township