Police nab suspect wearing Iron Man mask as he flees from store
November 6, 2013
The Iron Man mask a 26-year-old Shelby Township man wore did nothing to help him elude police capture after an officer reportedly saw him run out of a cellphone store that had been broken into.
According to police, an alarm sounded just after 11 p.m. Nov. 3 at the T-Mobile store in a strip mall at 785 E. Big Beaver, summoning police.
The first officer on the scene knew that similar breaking and entering crimes had occurred in Warren and Sterling Heights, said Troy police Sgt. Andy Breidenich.
In those incidents, the suspect or suspects entered a business next to a cellphone store and broke through drywall material to gain entry, Breidenich said.
The officer positioned himself for a good view of the store and saw two men wearing masks run through to the back door. The officer ran around the strip mall to the back of the store, saw the men exit the store and then gave chase, according to reports.
The officer identified himself, and one man fled the scene. The man police say wore the Iron Man mask, Chris Peter Awadish, stopped for police and was arrested.
He was arraigned in 52-4 District Court Nov. 5 on one count of breaking and entering with intent, a 10-year felony. Bond was set at $25,000 cash/surety.
Troy police are working to indentify the second suspect.
- 30 DAYS
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores
- No charges for customer who shot accused bank robber - Warren
- Warren sued over alleged persecution of medical pot patients - Warren
- Hive of activity will continue - Warren
- Nurse anesthetists to host Ether Day Frolic 5K at River Bends Park - Shelby Township
- Residents, businesses honored for beautification - St. Clair Shores
- Court dismisses charge against teacher in East Detroit drowning case - Eastpointe
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Made in Michigan Festival returns with race, food trucks and more - St. Clair Shores
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township