Police nab suspect wearing Iron Man mask as he flees from store
By Terry Oparka
November 6, 2013
The Iron Man mask a 26-year-old Shelby Township man wore did nothing to help him elude police capture after an officer reportedly saw him run out of a cellphone store that had been broken into.
According to police, an alarm sounded just after 11 p.m. Nov. 3 at the T-Mobile store in a strip mall at 785 E. Big Beaver, summoning police.
The first officer on the scene knew that similar breaking and entering crimes had occurred in Warren and Sterling Heights, said Troy police Sgt. Andy Breidenich.
In those incidents, the suspect or suspects entered a business next to a cellphone store and broke through drywall material to gain entry, Breidenich said.
The officer positioned himself for a good view of the store and saw two men wearing masks run through to the back door. The officer ran around the strip mall to the back of the store, saw the men exit the store and then gave chase, according to reports.
The officer identified himself, and one man fled the scene. The man police say wore the Iron Man mask, Chris Peter Awadish, stopped for police and was arrested.
He was arraigned in 52-4 District Court Nov. 5 on one count of breaking and entering with intent, a 10-year felony. Bond was set at $25,000 cash/surety.
Troy police are working to indentify the second suspect.
About the author
Staff Writer Terry Oparka covers Troy and the Troy School District for the Troy Times. Oparka has worked for C & G Newspapers since 2000 and attended Oakland University and Macomb Community College. Oparka has won an award from the Michigan Press Association and three awards from the Society of Professional Journalists, Detroit Chapter.
- 30 DAYS
- Fraser High band to perform at college football bowl game - Fraser
- Driver in crash that killed teen faces murder charge - Sterling Heights
- Local chef, culinary students help those in need this Thanksgiving - St. Clair Shores
- New Fraser council members sworn in - Fraser
- Harper reopened for traffic - St. Clair Shores
- No injuries after shot fired during robbery - Roseville
- Students share words of thanks during holiday week - Clawson
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Hollywood actress partners with Clawson women in warming cause - Clawson
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights