Men arrested for illegally recording movie in theater
October 14, 2013
CLINTON TOWNSHIP — Two men were arrested by Clinton Township police Oct. 6 for allegedly recording a motion picture illegally in the AMC Star Gratiot theater, located at 35705 South Gratiot Ave.
Darren John Smith, 48, and Dana Elliotte Hervey, 49, were reportedly caught around 10 p.m. with a camera set up inside the theater. Investigators were tipped because it is allegedly not the first time the two men have recorded films inside a theater.
Clinton Township Police Department Captain Richard Maierle said the men were filming the motion picture “Gravity” when they were apprehended.
The MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) is having problems with this,” Maierle said. “We had a P.I. (private investigator) watching the place, and then they observed (the two men).”
The two men, both hailing from Detroit, were released on $500 bond. They face a one-year misdemeanor if charged. No court date was announced at press time.
- 30 DAYS
- Homeless man’s body found in Clinton River - Harrison Township
- Fireworks damage house, SUV over July 4 holiday - St. Clair Shores
- Police take attempted carjacking suspect into custody - Grosse Pointe Park
- Couple assaulted after fireworks show - West Bloomfield
- Madison district asks voters to approve bond for new middle school - Madison Heights
- East Detroit approves positive budget - Eastpointe
- Hazel Park voters to decide continuation of reduced police millage Aug. 4 - Hazel Park
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- New festival comes to Mount Clemens this week - Mount Clemens
- Police identify man who drowned at Stony Creek - Shelby Township
- Huntington Woods author sees her essays about child’s passing published - Huntington Woods