Men arrested for illegally recording movie in theater
October 14, 2013
CLINTON TOWNSHIP — Two men were arrested by Clinton Township police Oct. 6 for allegedly recording a motion picture illegally in the AMC Star Gratiot theater, located at 35705 South Gratiot Ave.
Darren John Smith, 48, and Dana Elliotte Hervey, 49, were reportedly caught around 10 p.m. with a camera set up inside the theater. Investigators were tipped because it is allegedly not the first time the two men have recorded films inside a theater.
Clinton Township Police Department Captain Richard Maierle said the men were filming the motion picture “Gravity” when they were apprehended.
The MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) is having problems with this,” Maierle said. “We had a P.I. (private investigator) watching the place, and then they observed (the two men).”
The two men, both hailing from Detroit, were released on $500 bond. They face a one-year misdemeanor if charged. No court date was announced at press time.
About the author
Nick Mordowanec covers Fraser, Clinton Township, Fraser School District, Clintondale Community Schools and Baker College for the Fraser-Clinton Chronicle. Nick has worked for C & G Newspapers since 2013 and graduated from Michigan State University. He has slight obsessions with sports, Seinfeld and Led Zeppelin.
- 30 DAYS
- Police investigate three suspicious car fires - Royal Oak
- Dakota High School student dead after being found in hospital parking structure - Clinton Township
- Alertness may protect your car, holiday gifts - Metro Detroit
- Teen dies after rollover accident - Clinton Township
- Dakota senior earns Eagle Scout recognition - Macomb Township
- Dead body identified as Hazel Park man - Hazel Park
- You’re still a good man, Charlie Brown - Warren
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights
- New high school club puts focus on science and technology - Roseville