Man tells police he’s robbed after date arranged online
Published October 29, 2013
WARREN — A 25-year-old Warren resident told police he was robbed by two men Oct. 26 after a woman he met online arrived for a date.
According to a police report, officers were called to a home on Renee north of Frazho and west of Mound at 8:10 p.m. to investigate an alleged assault in progress. Officers spoke to the victim who said he was “jumped” by two suspects. The men allegedly stole his cellphone and wallet.
“The victim basically said he met a girl on Instagram about five weeks ago. He finally goes out on a date with her and she tricks him into going back to the house, and two guys in a gold Mercedes jumped him and took his money,” said the officer in charge of the case, Detective Cpl. Kevin Dailey.
The man told police he was meeting a woman named “Jada” at his home and that the two had made plans to go to Detroit for a date night. The woman reportedly called the victim and told him she was walking to his house to save gas and that she was just down the street.
The pair later met at the house and began driving to Detroit but turned around after the woman reportedly said she lost her car keys. The victim told police he was confronted by two men — both described as black, 5 feet 4 inches tall, and 140-150 pounds — who got out of a gold Mercedes that pulled up at a high speed when he returned to the house.
The suspects allegedly chased the victim east on Renee until he slipped on the grass and was beaten and robbed. A small amount of cash and the man’s cellphone were stolen. The man suffered a large cut above his eye.
Dailey said some questions about the incident remained unanswered and that the robbery was still under investigation as of Oct. 29.
“Basically, we’re just trying to identify suspects off the Internet,” Dailey said. “We have no idea who any of these people are.”
Anyone with information about the incident can reach Dailey at (586) 574-4835.
- 30 DAYS
- Three Northwood Elementary School teachers to retire in June - Royal Oak
- Traveling Vietnam Wall coming to township for Memorial Day weekend - Clinton Township
- Shelby, Utica police offer parking lots, lobbies for transactions - Shelby Township
- Madison district, Habitat Oakland make case for Halfman project - Madison Heights
- Lakefront residents continue to deal with stinky muck - Harrison Township
- Schools, library to once again host summer nutrition program - Harper Woods
- South student’s artwork to be displayed in the U.S. Capitol - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe