Published November 18, 2013
Man arrested for tying elderly parents to bed in Flamingo Motel
By Nick Mordowanec firstname.lastname@example.org
FRASER — A 55-year-old Lenox Township man is facing multiple counts of adult abuse after authorities became aware that he tied his parents up in a motel room.
Eric John Gala, the owner of Flamingo Motel, 32325 Groesbeck Highway, is facing two counts of vulnerable adult abuse in the second degree, with each crime being a four-year felony.
The Fraser Department of Public Safety received a complaint Nov. 6 that Gala had his elderly parents — aged 92 and 78 — tied up to a bed in an unsanitary motel room.
When officers arrived to the scene, they reportedly found Gala’s parents lying in their own feces and urine. The room was full of flies while a coarse smell emanated, so much so that it was unbearable to the officers present. There was also no hot water, no sufficient heat, and the room was dark.
When interviewed by police, Gala said that his parents rarely bathed and that they were tied to the bed so they wouldn’t leave.
Fraser Lt. Dan Kolke said that Gala’s parents moved to Michigan from Florida three years ago to live at the motel. After a fire in January 2013, Gala’s parents shared a house with him until they returned to the hotel in July, when Gala made them move out. An ex-employee found out about the abuse and filed a complaint to police.
Gala was arrested and arraigned in 39th District Court and was released on $20,000 personal bond.
Gala was his parents’ guardian, and the state has since removed his guardianship.
No court date was specified at press time.
- 24 HRS
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- New kiosk to assist Stony Creek cyclists - Sterling Heights
- Trial continues for man accused of shooting acquaintance - St. Clair Shores
- Center Line begins search for new city manager - Center Line
- Pub Crawl will raise money for Madison Heights Memorial Day Parade - Madison Heights
- GM nets big tax break in Warren - Warren
- Thoroughbred meet starting soon at Hazel Park Raceway - Hazel Park
- E-Lounge and I-Connect begin 2015 season - Madison Heights
- Rock community ready to roast local show promoter - Roseville
- Farewell to the Field event takes a look back - Clawson
- Tour the chocolate factory with Lamphere High’s ‘Willy Wonka’ - Madison Heights
- Bank robbers detained after high-speed pursuit - Harrison Township
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- Kroger receives approval for $25 million marketplace - Royal Oak
- Selfridge’s 127th Wing to fight Islamic State - Harrison Township
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say - St. Clair Shores
- Police investigate fatal single-vehicle crash - Shelby Township
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall - Roseville
- Frankenfoods: Are GMOs as scary as people think? - Metro Detroit
- Man in skeleton hoodie robs 7-Eleven - St. Clair Shores
- Jump for Trevor helps teen in need of a heart transplant - Southfield
- Berkley, Huntington Woods rank in top 10 places to live in Michigan - Berkley