Man arrested for tying elderly parents to bed in Flamingo Motel
November 18, 2013
FRASER — A 55-year-old Lenox Township man is facing multiple counts of adult abuse after authorities became aware that he tied his parents up in a motel room.
Eric John Gala, the owner of Flamingo Motel, 32325 Groesbeck Highway, is facing two counts of vulnerable adult abuse in the second degree, with each crime being a four-year felony.
The Fraser Department of Public Safety received a complaint Nov. 6 that Gala had his elderly parents — aged 92 and 78 — tied up to a bed in an unsanitary motel room.
When officers arrived to the scene, they reportedly found Gala’s parents lying in their own feces and urine. The room was full of flies while a coarse smell emanated, so much so that it was unbearable to the officers present. There was also no hot water, no sufficient heat, and the room was dark.
When interviewed by police, Gala said that his parents rarely bathed and that they were tied to the bed so they wouldn’t leave.
Fraser Lt. Dan Kolke said that Gala’s parents moved to Michigan from Florida three years ago to live at the motel. After a fire in January 2013, Gala’s parents shared a house with him until they returned to the hotel in July, when Gala made them move out. An ex-employee found out about the abuse and filed a complaint to police.
Gala was arrested and arraigned in 39th District Court and was released on $20,000 personal bond.
Gala was his parents’ guardian, and the state has since removed his guardianship.
No court date was specified at press time.
About the author
Nick Mordowanec covers Fraser, Clinton Township, Fraser School District, Clintondale Community Schools and Baker College for the Fraser-Clinton Chronicle. Nick has worked for C & G Newspapers since 2013 and graduated from Michigan State University. He has slight obsessions with sports, Seinfeld and Led Zeppelin.
- 30 DAYS
- Police investigate three suspicious car fires - Royal Oak
- Dakota High School student dead after being found in hospital parking structure - Clinton Township
- Alertness may protect your car, holiday gifts - Metro Detroit
- Teen dies after rollover accident - Clinton Township
- Dakota senior earns Eagle Scout recognition - Macomb Township
- Dead body identified as Hazel Park man - Hazel Park
- You’re still a good man, Charlie Brown - Warren
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights
- New high school club puts focus on science and technology - Roseville