St. Clair Shores
Looking Back: Frank Trombly Farmhouse
Published October 22, 2013
In the late 1890s, the area of Macomb County that we now call St. Clair Shores was named Erin. It was an agricultural community with summer cottages, one-room schools and long, narrow farms extending from Lake St. Clair. The Frank Trombly (Francis Trombley) farm was located near the northern border of Erin on the old Private Claim No.199, according to the 1895 Standard Atlas of Macomb County. Their neighbors were the William Meldrum and August Prell families. There are various spellings of the surname on different documents.
This photograph has been dated with the help of the 1900 U.S. Census and notes on the image. From left to right are: Nettie (age 16), Pauline (48), Albert (12) and William Trombly (22). The woman with the baby in the carriage is tentatively identified as Mrs. Prell and her child. August Prell owned property on Private Claim 556 near Masonic Boulevard and Jefferson.
This photograph and other images are available to view through the Digital Media Archive on www.scslibrary.org.
Source: Cynthia Bieniek, Archivist, St. Clair Shores Public Library, St. Clair Shores Historical Commission Photograph Collection
Do you own a piece of history? Send us your historically significant photos from around town, and we may be able to feature them in an upcoming edition of Looking Back. Email your photos to Kristyne Demske at email@example.com or call (586) 498-1041.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township