A resident who lives across from Poupard Elementary School on Van Antwerp Street was caught by surprise when he came home to find an intruder in the basement at 5:35 a.m. Dec. 6.
The resident fired a handgun at the suspect. The suspect fled, but police are unsure if the suspect was shot in the incident, according to police information.
The homeowner called police, who immediately launched a search of the area with officers and the city’s police K-9 team.
They “set up a perimeter to secure the area and are continuing to search for a black male wearing a green hoodie,” Public Safety Director James Burke stated in a Nixle.com release.
Police were planning to maintain a heavy presence around the school to ensure safety as students arrived earlier in the morning.
Police are asking that anyone with information on this incident call (313) 343-2530.
- 30 DAYS
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores
- No charges for customer who shot accused bank robber - Warren
- Warren sued over alleged persecution of medical pot patients - Warren
- Hive of activity will continue - Warren
- Nurse anesthetists to host Ether Day Frolic 5K at River Bends Park - Shelby Township
- Residents, businesses honored for beautification - St. Clair Shores
- Court dismisses charge against teacher in East Detroit drowning case - Eastpointe
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Made in Michigan Festival returns with race, food trucks and more - St. Clair Shores
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township