A resident who lives across from Poupard Elementary School on Van Antwerp Street was caught by surprise when he came home to find an intruder in the basement at 5:35 a.m. Dec. 6.
The resident fired a handgun at the suspect. The suspect fled, but police are unsure if the suspect was shot in the incident, according to police information.
The homeowner called police, who immediately launched a search of the area with officers and the city’s police K-9 team.
They “set up a perimeter to secure the area and are continuing to search for a black male wearing a green hoodie,” Public Safety Director James Burke stated in a Nixle.com release.
Police were planning to maintain a heavy presence around the school to ensure safety as students arrived earlier in the morning.
Police are asking that anyone with information on this incident call (313) 343-2530.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township