A resident who lives across from Poupard Elementary School on Van Antwerp Street was caught by surprise when he came home to find an intruder in the basement at 5:35 a.m. Dec. 6.
The resident fired a handgun at the suspect. The suspect fled, but police are unsure if the suspect was shot in the incident, according to police information.
The homeowner called police, who immediately launched a search of the area with officers and the city’s police K-9 team.
They “set up a perimeter to secure the area and are continuing to search for a black male wearing a green hoodie,” Public Safety Director James Burke stated in a Nixle.com release.
Police were planning to maintain a heavy presence around the school to ensure safety as students arrived earlier in the morning.
Police are asking that anyone with information on this incident call (313) 343-2530.
- 30 DAYS
- School board member’s Facebook post a ‘mistake’ - Roseville
- ‘Justice for Theresa’ served, killer gets life in prison - Warren
- Suspect charged with carjacking 97-year-old woman - Warren
- Local mom creates app to preserve memories - Farmington Hills
- Plans to connect Troy to the Clinton River Trail proceed - Troy
- Movie theater to undergo $8.5 million renovation - Clinton Township
- New micro housing project receives green light - Royal Oak
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township