A resident who lives across from Poupard Elementary School on Van Antwerp Street was caught by surprise when he came home to find an intruder in the basement at 5:35 a.m. Dec. 6.
The resident fired a handgun at the suspect. The suspect fled, but police are unsure if the suspect was shot in the incident, according to police information.
The homeowner called police, who immediately launched a search of the area with officers and the city’s police K-9 team.
They “set up a perimeter to secure the area and are continuing to search for a black male wearing a green hoodie,” Public Safety Director James Burke stated in a Nixle.com release.
Police were planning to maintain a heavy presence around the school to ensure safety as students arrived earlier in the morning.
Police are asking that anyone with information on this incident call (313) 343-2530.
- 30 DAYS
- Police warn residents of IRS phone scam - Clawson
- Fire Department seeks a few good men and women - Troy
- Local chef, culinary students help those in need this Thanksgiving - St. Clair Shores
- Woman dies after police find her unresponsive in car - Royal Oak
- Downtown Birmingham rolls out new logo, holiday perks - Birmingham
- New women’s center focuses on pregnant teens - Eastpointe
- Holiday plays planned in Eastpointe - Eastpointe
- Ghost hunters report paranormal activity at Octagon House - Washington Township
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Hollywood actress partners with Clawson women in warming cause - Clawson
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County