WarrenOctober 14, 2013
Firefighters rescue two from apartment fire
By Brian Louwers
C & G Staff Writer
WARREN — Firefighters rescued two people from a balcony above a burning unit at an apartment complex on Frazho just east of Ryan early on Oct. 13.
Warren Fire Chief David Frederick said about 40 firefighters from Warren, Center Line and the U.S. Army Detroit Arsenal were sent to the scene after callers reported a fire and people possibly trapped at 4:20 a.m.
Frederick said two callers reported smoke and flames visible from a first-floor apartment in a building with a total of 16 units at the Warren Woods Apartments. He said fire was fed with oxygen after it spread through a picture window and up the side of the building.
Firefighters found fire in the vestibule area of the building when they arrived at the scene.
“They rescued people off the second-story balcony. Everybody else got out,” Frederick said. “There was one minor injury to an occupant. He had a cut on his leg. He was treated at the scene.”
Frederick said a Center Line firefighter was also injured and transported to St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital where he required stitches for a cut on his hand.
Firefighters remained at the scene for more than three hours while crews from Sterling Heights, Roseville and Eastpointe handled calls routed to Warren fire stations through emergency dispatch.
Two first-floor units in the apartment building were destroyed and an additional six suffered smoke damage.
Frederick said the cause of the fire was still undetermined Oct. 14.
“I just have to give credit to the Warren firefighters. They did a great job with the rescue and containing the fire to just the two units,” Frederick said. “They saved that whole building, and then all the other help we got from the other cities.”
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Former Birmingham mayor arrested again on meth charges - Birmingham
- Woman found dead in Warren home - Warren
- Homeowner shoots at home invasion suspect - Harper Woods
- WWTHS graduate killed in Libya remembered - Warren
- Community rallies for Shelby boy with brain cancer - Shelby Township
- Love surrounds local teacher fighting cancer - Warren
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- New Macomb Mall owners to redevelop Crowley’s building - Roseville
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi