Published October 14, 2013
Firefighters rescue two from apartment fire
By Brian Louwers email@example.com
WARREN — Firefighters rescued two people from a balcony above a burning unit at an apartment complex on Frazho just east of Ryan early on Oct. 13.
Warren Fire Chief David Frederick said about 40 firefighters from Warren, Center Line and the U.S. Army Detroit Arsenal were sent to the scene after callers reported a fire and people possibly trapped at 4:20 a.m.
Frederick said two callers reported smoke and flames visible from a first-floor apartment in a building with a total of 16 units at the Warren Woods Apartments. He said fire was fed with oxygen after it spread through a picture window and up the side of the building.
Firefighters found fire in the vestibule area of the building when they arrived at the scene.
“They rescued people off the second-story balcony. Everybody else got out,” Frederick said. “There was one minor injury to an occupant. He had a cut on his leg. He was treated at the scene.”
Frederick said a Center Line firefighter was also injured and transported to St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital where he required stitches for a cut on his hand.
Firefighters remained at the scene for more than three hours while crews from Sterling Heights, Roseville and Eastpointe handled calls routed to Warren fire stations through emergency dispatch.
Two first-floor units in the apartment building were destroyed and an additional six suffered smoke damage.
Frederick said the cause of the fire was still undetermined Oct. 14.
“I just have to give credit to the Warren firefighters. They did a great job with the rescue and containing the fire to just the two units,” Frederick said. “They saved that whole building, and then all the other help we got from the other cities.”
- 24 HRS
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- New kiosk to assist Stony Creek cyclists - Sterling Heights
- Trial continues for man accused of shooting acquaintance - St. Clair Shores
- Center Line begins search for new city manager - Center Line
- Thoroughbred meet starting soon at Hazel Park Raceway - Hazel Park
- Pub Crawl will raise money for Madison Heights Memorial Day Parade - Madison Heights
- E-Lounge and I-Connect begin 2015 season - Madison Heights
- GM nets big tax break in Warren - Warren
- Rock community ready to roast local show promoter - Roseville
- Farewell to the Field event takes a look back - Clawson
- Tour the chocolate factory with Lamphere High’s ‘Willy Wonka’ - Madison Heights
- Bank robbers detained after high-speed pursuit - Harrison Township
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- Kroger receives approval for $25 million marketplace - Royal Oak
- Selfridge’s 127th Wing to fight Islamic State - Harrison Township
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say - St. Clair Shores
- Police investigate fatal single-vehicle crash - Shelby Township
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall - Roseville
- Frankenfoods: Are GMOs as scary as people think? - Metro Detroit
- Man in skeleton hoodie robs 7-Eleven - St. Clair Shores
- Jump for Trevor helps teen in need of a heart transplant - Southfield
- Berkley, Huntington Woods rank in top 10 places to live in Michigan - Berkley