An explosion blew out a wall and sparked a blaze at Munro & Associates, 1749 Northwood Drive, near Maple and Crooks, at 9:30 p.m. Oct. 24.
No one was in the building at the time of the explosion, said Dave Roberts, Troy assistant fire chief, in a prepared statement. He could not be reached for further comment. According to the company’s website, Munro & Associates is a consulting engineering firm specializing in design and manufacturing methods, and its customers include Chrysler, General Dynamics, Roll Royce, Nikon, Lockheed Martin, Boeing and Rubbermaid.
According to the release, multiple alarms in the building dispatched firefighters, who discovered the explosion had blown out part of a wall in the large industrial facility. They found heavy smoke inside.
The building’s sprinkler system activated, which contained the majority of the fire, Roberts said.
Firefighters extinguished the remaining fire, ensured it was out, shut down the sprinkler system and ventilated smoke from the building.
Firefighters were on the scene for about two hours, according to reports. The damage was confined to the rear warehouse portion of the building, and none of the businesses nearby sustained damage from the incident.
Employees were back in the building Oct. 25.
Police and fire officials continue to investigate to determine the cause of the fire, Roberts said.
- 30 DAYS
- Three Northwood Elementary School teachers to retire in June - Royal Oak
- Traveling Vietnam Wall coming to township for Memorial Day weekend - Clinton Township
- Shelby, Utica police offer parking lots, lobbies for transactions - Shelby Township
- Madison district, Habitat Oakland make case for Halfman project - Madison Heights
- Lakefront residents continue to deal with stinky muck - Harrison Township
- Schools, library to once again host summer nutrition program - Harper Woods
- South student’s artwork to be displayed in the U.S. Capitol - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe