Explosion blows out wall in industrial building
By Terry Oparka
October 25, 2013
An explosion blew out a wall and sparked a blaze at Munro & Associates, 1749 Northwood Drive, near Maple and Crooks, at 9:30 p.m. Oct. 24.
No one was in the building at the time of the explosion, said Dave Roberts, Troy assistant fire chief, in a prepared statement. He could not be reached for further comment. According to the company’s website, Munro & Associates is a consulting engineering firm specializing in design and manufacturing methods, and its customers include Chrysler, General Dynamics, Roll Royce, Nikon, Lockheed Martin, Boeing and Rubbermaid.
According to the release, multiple alarms in the building dispatched firefighters, who discovered the explosion had blown out part of a wall in the large industrial facility. They found heavy smoke inside.
The building’s sprinkler system activated, which contained the majority of the fire, Roberts said.
Firefighters extinguished the remaining fire, ensured it was out, shut down the sprinkler system and ventilated smoke from the building.
Firefighters were on the scene for about two hours, according to reports. The damage was confined to the rear warehouse portion of the building, and none of the businesses nearby sustained damage from the incident.
Employees were back in the building Oct. 25.
Police and fire officials continue to investigate to determine the cause of the fire, Roberts said.
About the author
Staff Writer Terry Oparka covers Troy and the Troy School District for the Troy Times. Oparka has worked for C & G Newspapers since 2000 and attended Oakland University and Macomb Community College. Oparka has won an award from the Michigan Press Association and three awards from the Society of Professional Journalists, Detroit Chapter.
- 30 DAYS
- Police investigate three suspicious car fires - Royal Oak
- Dakota High School student dead after being found in hospital parking structure - Clinton Township
- Alertness may protect your car, holiday gifts - Metro Detroit
- Teen dies after rollover accident - Clinton Township
- Dakota senior earns Eagle Scout recognition - Macomb Township
- Dead body identified as Hazel Park man - Hazel Park
- You’re still a good man, Charlie Brown - Warren
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights
- New high school club puts focus on science and technology - Roseville