TroyOctober 25, 2013
Explosion blows out wall in industrial building
By Terry Oparka
C & G Staff Writer
An explosion blew out a wall and sparked a blaze at Munro & Associates, 1749 Northwood Drive, near Maple and Crooks, at 9:30 p.m. Oct. 24.
No one was in the building at the time of the explosion, said Dave Roberts, Troy assistant fire chief, in a prepared statement. He could not be reached for further comment. According to the company’s website, Munro & Associates is a consulting engineering firm specializing in design and manufacturing methods, and its customers include Chrysler, General Dynamics, Roll Royce, Nikon, Lockheed Martin, Boeing and Rubbermaid.
According to the release, multiple alarms in the building dispatched firefighters, who discovered the explosion had blown out part of a wall in the large industrial facility. They found heavy smoke inside.
The building’s sprinkler system activated, which contained the majority of the fire, Roberts said.
Firefighters extinguished the remaining fire, ensured it was out, shut down the sprinkler system and ventilated smoke from the building.
Firefighters were on the scene for about two hours, according to reports. The damage was confined to the rear warehouse portion of the building, and none of the businesses nearby sustained damage from the incident.
Employees were back in the building Oct. 25.
Police and fire officials continue to investigate to determine the cause of the fire, Roberts said.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Woman found dead in Warren home - Warren
- Former Birmingham mayor arrested again on meth charges - Birmingham
- Homeowner shoots at home invasion suspect - Harper Woods
- WWTHS graduate killed in Libya remembered - Warren
- Love surrounds local teacher fighting cancer - Warren
- Community rallies for Shelby boy with brain cancer - Shelby Township
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- New Macomb Mall owners to redevelop Crowley’s building - Roseville
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi