WARREN — The driver in a single-car crash that killed 20-year-old Kimber Mao, of Detroit, remained in custody facing possible criminal charges Nov. 19.
According to Warren Police Lt. Heidi Metz, a 35-year-old man from Farmington Hills man was behind the wheel of a 2007 Subaru Imprezza that left the roadway and collided with a tree and a utility pole at about 12:30 a.m. Nov. 17.
The man was not named pending a decision on the charges and his arraignment in the 37th District Court.
“The vehicle was traveling westbound on 12 Mile. It was spotted by a witness who saw it go past him at a high rate of speed,” Metz said. “The witness then saw the vehicle’s tail lights leave the roadway. When he got closer, he saw that it hit a pole and a tree.”
Metz said Mao had been in the rear seat but was ejected from the vehicle. She was transported to Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak where she later died.
The front-seat passenger, a 23-year-old Taylor man, was also taken to the hospital where he was treated for a broken leg.
Metz said the driver was transported to the hospital where he was examined, released and taken into custody.
Investigators were reportedly working with Macomb County prosecutors to obtain criminal warrants Nov. 18.
Metz said “definitely speed was a factor” but that detectives were still attempting to determine whether the driver had been drinking.
She declined to say where the occupants of the vehicle had been immediately before the crash, citing the ongoing investigation.
Call Staff Writer Brian C. Louwers at (586) 498-1089.
- 30 DAYS
- Teens caught shooting paintballs at homes - St. Clair Shores
- Transit center legal question delayed - Troy
- New Kroger could be finished by Thanksgiving - Roseville
- Parade marches on with cheering crowds - St. Clair Shores
- Drilling ordinances ban fracking - Rochester Hills
- Busy weekend ahead for car and truck enthusiasts - Macomb Township
- High school custodian nominated for ‘distinguished’ award - Royal Oak
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township