Deputy charged with felony, accused of sex with inmate
September 25, 2013
ROCHESTER HILLS — An Oakland County Sheriff’s Office deputy has been charged with multiple felonies in connection with an allegedly sexual relationship involving a woman who is an inmate at the Oakland County Jail in Pontiac.
According to a police report, another inmate alerted police to the relationship Sept. 2. Criminal and internal investigations were immediately initiated, and the deputy was suspended.
All jail inmates were interviewed, including the woman named in the relationship. An investigation revealed that sexual acts were consensual between the inmate and the deputy, but under Michigan law and Sheriff’s Office regulations, the acts are criminal because the inmate cannot give consent, according to the Sheriff’s Office.
Garry Donnell Jackson, 52, from Rochester Hills, was arraigned Sept. 16 before Judge Michael Martinez at 50th District Court in Pontiac. Jackson, appearing without an attorney, was charged with three counts of criminal sexual conduct, second degree.
According to the report, Jackson has been employed by the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office as a Corrections Division deputy since 1997. Martinez set bond at $5,000, and Jackson was ordered to have no contact with the victim. Criminal sexual conduct second degree is a felony punishable up to 15 years in prison.
The inmate is 24 years old and has been lodged in the Oakland County Jail since May 17. She is currently serving a sentence for retail fraud and a subsequent probation violation, the report states.
“The Sheriff’s Office abhors this conduct and has started the process to terminate Jackson. Jackson has brought dishonor to the badge and violated public trust,” reads a statement released by the Sheriff’s Office.
- 30 DAYS
- School board member’s Facebook post a ‘mistake’ - Roseville
- ‘Justice for Theresa’ served, killer gets life in prison - Warren
- Suspect charged with carjacking 97-year-old woman - Warren
- Local mom creates app to preserve memories - Farmington Hills
- Plans to connect Troy to the Clinton River Trail proceed - Troy
- Movie theater to undergo $8.5 million renovation - Clinton Township
- New micro housing project receives green light - Royal Oak
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township