Published September 25, 2013
Deputy charged with felony, accused of sex with inmate
By Linda Shepard email@example.com
ROCHESTER HILLS — An Oakland County Sheriff’s Office deputy has been charged with multiple felonies in connection with an allegedly sexual relationship involving a woman who is an inmate at the Oakland County Jail in Pontiac.
According to a police report, another inmate alerted police to the relationship Sept. 2. Criminal and internal investigations were immediately initiated, and the deputy was suspended.
All jail inmates were interviewed, including the woman named in the relationship. An investigation revealed that sexual acts were consensual between the inmate and the deputy, but under Michigan law and Sheriff’s Office regulations, the acts are criminal because the inmate cannot give consent, according to the Sheriff’s Office.
Garry Donnell Jackson, 52, from Rochester Hills, was arraigned Sept. 16 before Judge Michael Martinez at 50th District Court in Pontiac. Jackson, appearing without an attorney, was charged with three counts of criminal sexual conduct, second degree.
According to the report, Jackson has been employed by the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office as a Corrections Division deputy since 1997. Martinez set bond at $5,000, and Jackson was ordered to have no contact with the victim. Criminal sexual conduct second degree is a felony punishable up to 15 years in prison.
The inmate is 24 years old and has been lodged in the Oakland County Jail since May 17. She is currently serving a sentence for retail fraud and a subsequent probation violation, the report states.
“The Sheriff’s Office abhors this conduct and has started the process to terminate Jackson. Jackson has brought dishonor to the badge and violated public trust,” reads a statement released by the Sheriff’s Office.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Rock community ready to roast local show promoter - Roseville
- Farewell to the Field event takes a look back - Clawson
- Tour the chocolate factory with Lamphere High’s ‘Willy Wonka’ - Madison Heights
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- Bank robbers detained after high-speed pursuit - Harrison Township
- Don’t be behind the curve on roundabouts - Metro Detroit
- Kroger receives approval for $25 million marketplace - Royal Oak
- Stolen wedding ring a fake report, police say - St. Clair Shores
- Police investigate fatal single-vehicle crash - Shelby Township
- Construction continues at Macomb Mall - Roseville
- Frankenfoods: Are GMOs as scary as people think? - Metro Detroit
- Man in skeleton hoodie robs 7-Eleven - St. Clair Shores
- Jump for Trevor helps teen in need of a heart transplant - Southfield
- Berkley, Huntington Woods rank in top 10 places to live in Michigan - Berkley