Deputy charged with felony, accused of sex with inmate
September 25, 2013
ROCHESTER HILLS — An Oakland County Sheriff’s Office deputy has been charged with multiple felonies in connection with an allegedly sexual relationship involving a woman who is an inmate at the Oakland County Jail in Pontiac.
According to a police report, another inmate alerted police to the relationship Sept. 2. Criminal and internal investigations were immediately initiated, and the deputy was suspended.
All jail inmates were interviewed, including the woman named in the relationship. An investigation revealed that sexual acts were consensual between the inmate and the deputy, but under Michigan law and Sheriff’s Office regulations, the acts are criminal because the inmate cannot give consent, according to the Sheriff’s Office.
Garry Donnell Jackson, 52, from Rochester Hills, was arraigned Sept. 16 before Judge Michael Martinez at 50th District Court in Pontiac. Jackson, appearing without an attorney, was charged with three counts of criminal sexual conduct, second degree.
According to the report, Jackson has been employed by the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office as a Corrections Division deputy since 1997. Martinez set bond at $5,000, and Jackson was ordered to have no contact with the victim. Criminal sexual conduct second degree is a felony punishable up to 15 years in prison.
The inmate is 24 years old and has been lodged in the Oakland County Jail since May 17. She is currently serving a sentence for retail fraud and a subsequent probation violation, the report states.
“The Sheriff’s Office abhors this conduct and has started the process to terminate Jackson. Jackson has brought dishonor to the badge and violated public trust,” reads a statement released by the Sheriff’s Office.
- 30 DAYS
- Legal hurdles cleared for Colonial Dodge site sale - Eastpointe
- Fundraising underway for Roseville boy fighting cancer - Roseville
- Court pushes back exam dates for crash survivors - Romeo
- Harper Cruise makes for a ‘wheel’ good time - St. Clair Shores
- RARA to introduce new indoor playscape, gymnastics facility - Rochester
- From shipping container to residential development - Metro Detroit
- Experts weigh in on the proper use of roundabouts - Southfield
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- From combat to car wash: former military man fixes up local eyesore - Fraser
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- Home invasion prevention 101: Fool criminals into thinking you’re home - Metro Detroit