Deputy charged with felony, accused of sex with inmate
September 25, 2013
ROCHESTER HILLS — An Oakland County Sheriff’s Office deputy has been charged with multiple felonies in connection with an allegedly sexual relationship involving a woman who is an inmate at the Oakland County Jail in Pontiac.
According to a police report, another inmate alerted police to the relationship Sept. 2. Criminal and internal investigations were immediately initiated, and the deputy was suspended.
All jail inmates were interviewed, including the woman named in the relationship. An investigation revealed that sexual acts were consensual between the inmate and the deputy, but under Michigan law and Sheriff’s Office regulations, the acts are criminal because the inmate cannot give consent, according to the Sheriff’s Office.
Garry Donnell Jackson, 52, from Rochester Hills, was arraigned Sept. 16 before Judge Michael Martinez at 50th District Court in Pontiac. Jackson, appearing without an attorney, was charged with three counts of criminal sexual conduct, second degree.
According to the report, Jackson has been employed by the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office as a Corrections Division deputy since 1997. Martinez set bond at $5,000, and Jackson was ordered to have no contact with the victim. Criminal sexual conduct second degree is a felony punishable up to 15 years in prison.
The inmate is 24 years old and has been lodged in the Oakland County Jail since May 17. She is currently serving a sentence for retail fraud and a subsequent probation violation, the report states.
“The Sheriff’s Office abhors this conduct and has started the process to terminate Jackson. Jackson has brought dishonor to the badge and violated public trust,” reads a statement released by the Sheriff’s Office.
About the author
Staff Writer Linda Shepard covers Rochester Hills and Oakland Township for the Rochester Post. Shepard has worked for C & G Newspapers since 1998, graduated from Oakland University and is a past winner of the Michigan Press Association award. Shepard takes an avid interest in Detroit’s history and current rebirth.
- 30 DAYS
- Red Wings score healthy victory at local elementary school - Clawson
- Local potter to represent Shelby Township - Shelby Township
- BHS theater students show comedy chops in ‘Noises Off’ - Berkley
- Wreaths to be laid on hallowed ground Dec.12 - Metro Detroit
- Shoplifter flees store with North Face jackets worth $1,000 - Utica
- Downtown Rochester to welcome Kris Kringle Market - Rochester
- Police seek information on bank hit-and-run crash - Roseville
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights
- Richard Sulaka passes away suddenly at 60 - Warren
- New high school club puts focus on science and technology - Roseville