A Clinton Township man is in police custody after allegedly carjacking an Eastpointe woman Jan. 2.
According to a press release, John Randolph, 30, of Clinton Township, is facing charges of carjacking and stealing financial transaction devices. If convicted, he faces up to life in prison.
At approximately 2:15 p.m. Jan. 2, in the 21000 block of Cushing Street, a woman reported that she had been standing next to her vehicle, which was running and parked in her driveway, when Randolph allegedly ran toward her and pushed her to the ground before entering the vehicle. Randolph allegedly then drove away southbound with the woman’s personal belongings and purse in the vehicle.
According to the release, Eastpointe police spotted a matching vehicle and followed it to a strip mall around Seven Mile Road and Gratiot Avenue. The officers took Randolph into custody without incident with assistance from the Detroit Police Department, and police said that they recovered the vehicle’s keys and the woman’s credit cards.
Randolph had an outstanding warrant for being a parole absconder, according to Eastpointe Police Lt. Dave Ernatt, which stemmed from a previous carjacking conviction.
The court entered a not guilty plea on Randolph’s behalf. He requested a court-appointed attorney; the attorney had not been appointed as of Jan. 3. Randolph’s next court date is scheduled for Jan. 14.
- 30 DAYS
- ‘She’s only 8 and she’s been through hell’ - Harrison Township
- Woman bound over to circuit court on child abuse charge - Eastpointe
- Beaumont Hospital tops off Proton Therapy Center - Royal Oak
- Local entrepreneur finds life mission through baking - Clinton Township
- New bill hopes to curb inhumane puppy mill operations - Lansing
- West Bloomfield PD tests out new software - West Bloomfield
- Township board approves expansion of C.J. Barrymore’s - Clinton Township
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores