Bomb threat evacuates county courthouse
By Julie Snyder
March 17, 2014
The Macomb County Circuit Court Building in Mount Clemens has been evacuated due to a bomb threat, sheriff’s officials report.
According to Macomb County Sheriff’s Capt. Brenda Baker, a call came in to the Court Clerk’s Office at approximately 9 a.m.
“(The caller said) a bomb would go off sometime early this afternoon,” said Baker. “We considered how credible the call was, and the judges made the decision to evacuate the courthouse.”
The sheriff’s K-9 units were called to the location, at which time a floor-by-floor search of the building and surrounding area was conducted with the assistance of the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office and the Michigan State Police.
That search was completed at 11:53 a.m., and nothing suspicious was found. Sheriff’s officials report that the courthouse will reopen to the public at 2:15 p.m.
Detectives are currently investigating the source of the calls.
The sheriff’s K-9 units are currently conducting a search.
About the author
Staff Writer Julie Snyder covers Harrison Township, Mount Clemens, Macomb County, L’Anse Creuse Public Schools, and Mount Clemens Community Schools for the Journal. She has worked for C & G Newspapers since 2003, and attended the University of Toledo with degrees in journalism and photography. Julie has received several awards for her work in Arizona and Washington, including AP awards in Arizona for breaking news reporting and feature writing.
- 30 DAYS
- Police investigate three suspicious car fires - Royal Oak
- Dakota High School student dead after being found in hospital parking structure - Clinton Township
- Alertness may protect your car, holiday gifts - Metro Detroit
- Teen dies after rollover accident - Clinton Township
- Dakota senior earns Eagle Scout recognition - Macomb Township
- Dead body identified as Hazel Park man - Hazel Park
- You’re still a good man, Charlie Brown - Warren
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights
- New high school club puts focus on science and technology - Roseville