A 47-year-old attorney has died after an accident on Harper Avenue at Shady Lane.
St. Clair Shores Police Officer Tom Price said a black Acura was traveling northbound on Harper Avenue at Shady Lane around 11:50 a.m. Nov. 9 when it rear-ended a silver Mercedes Benz, then continued on and struck a tree on the northeast corner of Harper Avenue and Shady Lane.
Price said both drivers were transported to the hospital.
The driver of the Acura, 47-year-old Corbett O’Meara of Grosse Pointe Farms, died from his injuries at the hospital.
The 62-year-old Eastpointe woman driving the Mercedes Benz is still in critical condition at the hospital, Price said.
Police don’t have many clues as to the cause of the accident, which is still under investigation, Price said.
“At the scene … he (O’Meara) wasn’t talking, he wasn’t able to give any leads or anything toward our investigation,” Price said.
O’Meara was the son of federal court Judge John Corbett O’Meara. He practiced as a lawyer for more than 12 years with Shulman and Associates in an office in the Guardian Building in Detroit.
“He was a dynamic attorney who was able to handle some of the most difficult and high profile criminal cases in state and federal courts,” said Sanford Schulman of Schulman and Associates in a statement. “He was a champion of the cause of justice and had a passion for social issues.”
Schulman said O’Meara leaves behind two sons and a daughter, parents, family and “many friends who will miss his energy and his ability to make a room light up in laughter.”
- 30 DAYS
- City stunned by loss of councilman - St. Clair Shores
- Three house fires reported in one day in Harper Woods - Harper Woods
- Pit bull awareness effort to benefit Madison Heights Animal Shelter - Madison Heights
- Hive of activity will continue - Warren
- Multitasking your workout - Metro Detroit
- ‘She’s only 8 and she’s been through hell’ - Harrison Township
- Halloween coming early to Red Oaks Nature Center, Golf Course - Madison Heights
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores