MOUNT CLEMENS — Macomb County Sheriff’s investigators say alcohol may have been a factor in a deadly weekend accident in Mount Clemens that claimed the life of a St. Clair County woman.
Capt. Brenda Baker said preliminary findings show that the victim, 64, was traveling eastbound on Cass Avenue at around 8 p.m. Feb. 15 and negotiating a left turn onto northbound Groesbeck when another driver traveling southbound on Groesbeck failed to stop at a red light. The driver, a 40-year-old man from Clinton Township, reportedly struck the victim’s vehicle on the passenger’s side.
Baker said the victim was pronounced dead at the scene.
“Our preliminary investigation indicates alcohol may have been a factor,” Baker said. “We’re still investigating.”
The names of the victim and the suspected drunk driver have not been released, and Baker would not say if a Breathalyzer test had been conducted on the man at the scene.
Because of the President’s Day holiday, Baker said the suspect will not be arraigned and formally charged in 41-B District Court in Clinton Township until Feb. 18. He is being held in the Macomb County Jail.
- 30 DAYS
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores
- Warren sued over alleged persecution of medical pot patients - Warren
- Hive of activity will continue - Warren
- Court dismisses charge against teacher in East Detroit drowning case - Eastpointe
- Nurse anesthetists to host Ether Day Frolic 5K at River Bends Park - Shelby Township
- Commission candidates share priorities at forum - Bloomfield Hills
- Traffic study closes lanes on service drive, Main Street near Woodward - Pleasant Ridge
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Made in Michigan Festival returns with race, food trucks and more - St. Clair Shores
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township