Alcohol may be a factor in fatal collision
Published February 17, 2014
MOUNT CLEMENS — Macomb County Sheriff’s investigators say alcohol may have been a factor in a deadly weekend accident in Mount Clemens that claimed the life of a St. Clair County woman.
Capt. Brenda Baker said preliminary findings show that the victim, 64, was traveling eastbound on Cass Avenue at around 8 p.m. Feb. 15 and negotiating a left turn onto northbound Groesbeck when another driver traveling southbound on Groesbeck failed to stop at a red light. The driver, a 40-year-old man from Clinton Township, reportedly struck the victim’s vehicle on the passenger’s side.
Baker said the victim was pronounced dead at the scene.
“Our preliminary investigation indicates alcohol may have been a factor,” Baker said. “We’re still investigating.”
The names of the victim and the suspected drunk driver have not been released, and Baker would not say if a Breathalyzer test had been conducted on the man at the scene.
Because of the President’s Day holiday, Baker said the suspect will not be arraigned and formally charged in 41-B District Court in Clinton Township until Feb. 18. He is being held in the Macomb County Jail.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township