Published March 1, 2014
Warren Woods Tower's Pipes wins first wrestling state title in program history
By Jason Carmel Davis firstname.lastname@example.org Follow Jason on Twitter.
AUBURN HILLS — Warren Woods Tower senior 125-pound wrestler Nick Pipes outlasted Stevensville Lakeshore's Patrick Blommel 6-1 to win a Division 2 state championship at the 2014 Michigan High School Athletic Association state finals.
The finals took place March 1 at The Palace of Auburn Hills.
The triip to The Palace was the fourth for Pipes — and the first time he placed at the event. The top eight wrestlers in each weight class earn All-State honors.
"I couldn't have asked for a better ending," said Pipes, who ends the season at 50-5. "I've always been the underdog and I've always come out the underdog. I've never placed. Being seeded first this year, I set a higher standard for myself and came in more confident, and I thought that helped a lot."
Pipes recorded takesdowns in the first and second periods to take a 4-0 lead into the final stanza. Blommel got a point on an escape to cut Pipes' lead to 4-1 late in the match. Pipes got another takedown late in the third to seal the win.
"This is huge. It's the first (state champion) in our school's history and the first one I've coached," Titans coach Greg Mayer said. "We've had guys who we thought could get this done, but Nick's the first. I'm thrilled for him."
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak