- Boys Football Dakota PPD Chippewa Valley PPD 9/03
- Boys Football Southfield Lathrup 7 Royal Oak High 21 9/03
- Boys Tennis Troy Athens 5 Rochester 3 9/02
- Boys Tennis Fraser 6 Chippewa Valley 2 9/02
- Boys Soccer Rochester Adams 1 De La Salle 0 9/01
- Boys Soccer Brother Rice 2 Fenton 0 8/31
- Boys Soccer Macomb Dakota 1 Utica 0 8/31
- Boys Soccer Sterling Heights Stevenson 4 Grosse Pointe North 0 8/31
Warren Woods Tower's Pipes wins first wrestling state title in program history
March 1, 2014
AUBURN HILLS — Warren Woods Tower senior 125-pound wrestler Nick Pipes outlasted Stevensville Lakeshore's Patrick Blommel 6-1 to win a Division 2 state championship at the 2014 Michigan High School Athletic Association state finals.
The finals took place March 1 at The Palace of Auburn Hills.
The triip to The Palace was the fourth for Pipes — and the first time he placed at the event. The top eight wrestlers in each weight class earn All-State honors.
"I couldn't have asked for a better ending," said Pipes, who ends the season at 50-5. "I've always been the underdog and I've always come out the underdog. I've never placed. Being seeded first this year, I set a higher standard for myself and came in more confident, and I thought that helped a lot."
Pipes recorded takesdowns in the first and second periods to take a 4-0 lead into the final stanza. Blommel got a point on an escape to cut Pipes' lead to 4-1 late in the match. Pipes got another takedown late in the third to seal the win.
"This is huge. It's the first (state champion) in our school's history and the first one I've coached," Titans coach Greg Mayer said. "We've had guys who we thought could get this done, but Nick's the first. I'm thrilled for him."