Published February 12, 2014
Warren Lincoln wrestling bests Madison Heights Lamphere to win regional title
By Jason Carmel Davis firstname.lastname@example.org Follow Jason on Twitter.
MADISON HEIGHTS — Warren Lincoln wrestling coach Vito Delia said this season has been one of the more trying in his tenure.
Injuries and other issues have taken away from a squad that could have been dominant, he said.
That made the Abes' coach that much prouder to see his team best Madison Heights Lamphere 42-26 in a Michigan High School Athletic Association Division 2 regional final. The match took place Feb. 12 at Lamphere.
"To see (the wrestlers) persevere through all of that to get here, that means a lot," said Delia, who guided Lincoln to a second straight regional title. The last regional crown prior to this run came in 2004.
"This was our goal going all the way back to the end of last season. There was no taking three months off. We've been preparing for this moment for a long time," Delia said.
The Abes move on to a D-2 state quarterfinal set for 5:30 p.m. Feb. 21 at Kellogg Arena in Battle Creek. Pairings will be determined Feb. 16 and will be available at www.mhsaa.com.
Lamphere took the first points of the 14-match regional final, jumping out to a 5-0 lead on a technical fall. Lincoln, wrestling without five regular starters, according to Delia, took the next four matches all on pins to take a 24-5 lead. All of those falls were recorded in the first period.
The teams swapped the next four bouts, leaving the Abes with a 33-14 lead. Lincoln senior heavyweight Michael Abouya's pin in the first period of his match proved to be the decider and put the Abes up 39-14. Lincoln picked up another pin at 103 pounds. The finl three matches were decided via void.
"We just came out ready to go," Abouya said. "We wrestled (Lamphere) earlier this season. We knew that if we wrestled our kinds of matches that we could win."
Lincoln bested Melvindale 45-34 in a regional semifinal to advance to the final. Lamphere knocked off Farmingto High 40-19 to move on.
In other regional action, Macomb Dakota won its second straight D-1 regional title with a 46-24 win over Fraser High Feb. 12 at Dakota. The Cougars will wrestle in a state quarterfinal at 3:15 p.m. Feb. 21 at Kellogg Arena in Battle Creek.
Warren Woods Tower defeated Crosswell-Lexington 38-32 to capture a D-2 regional title Feb. 12 at Yale. Tower will wrestle in a D-2 state quarterfinal at 5:30 p.m. Feb. 21 at Kellogg Arena in Battle Creek.
Eight teams from Division 1-4 will advance to the state semifinals.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak