Published February 21, 2014
Warren Lincoln, Woods Tower wrestling teams falls in D-2 state quarterfinals
By Jason Carmel Davis email@example.com Follow Jason on Twitter.
BATTLE CREEK — The wrestling teams from Tecumseh and Lowell proved too tough for Warren Woods Tower and Warren Lincoln at the 2014 Michigan High School Athletic Association Division 2 state quarterfinals.
Tecumseh bested Tower 54-14, while Lowell downed Lincoln 58-16.
Both matches took place Feb. 21 at Kellogg Arena in Battle Creek.
Tecumseh (32-2) took a 6-0 lead on the Titans in the first match of the 14-fight bout with a pin by its heavyweight. The Indians never trailed in the match, recording eight pins on its way to victory.
Tower battled back after falling behind 24-4. The Titans (19-12) went on a run, taking three straight matches at 135, 140 and 145 pounds to cut the Tecumseh lead to 24-14. The Indians picked up pins in each of the last five matches to seal the win.
Lincoln (22-10) started out its match with Lowell on the right foot, with senior heavyweight Michael Abouya picking up a pin to put the Abes up 6-0. Lowell (22-1) would win the next seven matches to build a 36-6 lead. Lincoln, making its second straight trip to the state quarterfinals, won the next two bouts — at 152 and 160 pounds — to make it 36-16 Lowell.
Lowell would get a pin at 171 pounds and voids at 189 and 215 pounds to conclude the match.
The team portion of the season may be over for Tower and Lincoln, but both teams will send wrestlers to the 2014 MHSAA individual state finals, set for Feb. 27-March 1 at The Palace of Auburn Hills.
State qualifiers from each school are listed below.
Garret Kaercher — 125 pounds
Shawn Lindsey — 135
Khannor Kaercher — 145
Ethan Eisenmann — 145
Dierrien Perkins — 160
Michael Abouya — 285
Warren Woods Tower
Joe Schindler — 103
Al-Aminui Haque — 119
Nick Pipes — 125
Donald Janice — 135
Alfred Bowlson — 140
Darrell Cowart — 215
For pairings and match times at the individual state finals, check www.mhsaa.com.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- College hoops coaches to team up in effort to help ‘beat cancer’ - Bloomfield Hills
- Chippewa Valley senior volleyball standout to take her talents to the next level - Clinton Township
- Lake Shore girls soccer coach stressing continual improvement - St. Clair Shores
- OAA boys basketball names honor teams - Oakland County
- L’Anse Creuse baseball eyeing first division title since 2005 - Harrison Township
- Avondale baseball getting into the swing of things - Troy
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak