Shelby Township, Utica
Published June 6, 2014
Utica Eisenhower downs Grand Blanc to win regional title
By Thomas Franz email@example.com
Two goals in the game's first four minutes sparked Utica Eisenhower to a 4-1 victory against Grand Blanc in a MHSAA Division 1 regional final on Friday night at Rochester High.
Isabella Palazzolo opened the scoring for Eisenhower 1:12 into the game off of an assist from Paige Duda. Two and a half minutes later, Jillian Doss headed in a free kick from Samantha Dunn.
“We tried to stay attacking. We did not try to play a defensive game," Eisenhower coach Mehrdad Nekoogar said. “We were very fortunate today that we scored an early goal, and we were able to manage to hold on to that goal with the caliber of player that they had in the front.”
That player Nekoogar referred to was Grand Blanc junior Annie Walker, who scored with 24:03 left in the first half to cut the Eagles' lead to one.
Similar to Eisenhower's regional semifinal victory, the Eagles took control in the second half.
Another quick goal, this time from Duda less than four minutes after halftime, gave Eisenhower momentum for the rest of the game.
"Once we scored the third goal, we made a couple of more adjustments and after that, we knew that if they push up they would not be able to stay with our attackers," Nekoogar said.
Duda tallied her second goal of the night with 24:15 left to complete Eisenhower's scoring and give the Eagles a 4-1 lead.
Grand Blanc closes its season at 17-3-4. Eisenhower will advance to play the winner of Utica Ford and Grosse Pointe South in a state semifinal on at 6:30 p.m. on June 11 at West Bloomfield High School.
Eisenhower defeated Ford and South in both contests against each team in the regular season, but Nekoogar knows that it will be a dangerous contest for his team.
Every time you beat a team twice, they’re going to be ready the third time for you, and that’s going to be a very dangerous game," Nekoogar said. "I just have to hope that the girls are focused and they don’t take anything for granted.”
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- OAA boys basketball names honor teams - Oakland County
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak