Shelby Township, Utica, Walled Lake
Published June 4, 2014
Utica Eisenhower defeats Walled Lake Northern in regional semifinal
By Thomas Franz email@example.com
Shannon Casey scored twice and Isabella Palazzolo had three assists to pace Utica Eisenhower to a 4-1 victory against Walled Lake Northern in a MHSAA Division 1 regional semifinal on Wednesday night at Rochester High.
Palazzolo connected with Casey on the game's first goal with 20:11 left in the first half. Casey made a pass across the box and over the outstretched arms of the Northern keeper to find Casey, who calmly converted the open opportunity.
Northern responded immediately, as freshman Nicole LaFrance scored from about 30 yards out to tie the game just 29 seconds after Eisenhower's first tally.
The two sides played an even end to the first half, but the Eagles took over after the break.
Caitlin Carroll made it 2-1 Eisenhower with 33:41 left, then Casey tallied her second goal just more than two minutes later.
Junior Paige Duda finished off the night for Eisenhower by scoring with 13:50 left.
"I knew the opportunities were going to come in the second half," Eisenhower coach Mehrdad Nekoogar said. "Fitnesswise, we're in excellent shape, so it was just a matter of time to put the ball in the net, and second half, we took care of business."
Northern coach Drew Drummond said it was a game of two halves.
"In the first half, we had opportunities and they had opportunites, but something switched in the second half. We had a couple of breakdowns, and they're a good enough team to punish you for it," Drummond said.
Northern closes its year at 12-5-1. Eisenhower (16-1-2) will face Grand Blanc in a regional final at 5 p.m. on June 6 at Rochester High.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- College hoops coaches to team up in effort to help ‘beat cancer’ - Bloomfield Hills
- Chippewa Valley senior volleyball standout to take her talents to the next level - Clinton Township
- Lake Shore girls soccer coach stressing continual improvement - St. Clair Shores
- OAA boys basketball names honor teams - Oakland County
- L’Anse Creuse baseball eyeing first division title since 2005 - Harrison Township
- Avondale baseball getting into the swing of things - Troy
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak