Published March 11, 2014
University Liggett beats Blissfield in state quarterfinal
By Thomas Franz email@example.com
Lola Ristovski scored 21 points to lead University Liggett to a 50-47 victory against unbeaten Blissfield High in a Class C state quarterfinal Tuesday night.
Down 40-35 with two minutes into the fourth quarter, the Knights went on an 11-2 run to give themselves a 46-42 advantage going into the closing moments of the game.
Blissfield cut the lead to one, but Ristovski sank two free throws with 23.5 seconds left to give Liggett a 48-45 lead. Blissfield's Madison Jerome made a layup with 13 seconds.
Liggett sophomore Kendall McConico then made two free throws to give the Knights a three-point lead with 10.6 seconds left, but Blissfield was unable to score on its last possesion.
McConico said she wasn't just thinking about winning the game while taking her last two free throws.
"Shooting the free throws, I knew that if I missed, I would be the least favorite person in the school because we wanted a half day on Thursday, and missing those and losing would be absolutely terrible. So I knew I had to make them, not just for the tea, ,but for the school," McConico said.
Claire Denecker led Blissfield with 15 points and 17 rebounds. Freshman Kelsey Wyman added 10 points for the Royals, who close their season with a 21-1 record.
For Liggett, McConico added 10 points and freshman Nia Ahart scored eight. As a team, Liggett shot 17-17 from the free-throw line.
"We really haven't been challenged all year, and we were worried about that going into the game, but Lola (Ristovski) has been there before, so she wanted to put the team on her back, and she did," Liggett coach Omar Ahart said.
Liggett (20-3) advances to play St. Ignace LaSalle in a Class C state semifinal at the Breslin Center in East Lansing on March 13 at 2:50 p.m.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- OAA boys basketball names honor teams - Oakland County
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak