Published October 9, 2013
UDM, OU hoops teams start journey toward tip-off
By Mark Vest firstname.lastname@example.org Follow Mark on Twitter.
The basketball teams from the University of Detroit Mercy and Oakland University have taken their first step toward trying to achieve their season goals, as the men’s and women’s squads from both schools have begun practice.
The men’s teams from both schools got started Sept. 27. The women’s team from UDM opened camp Sept. 30, followed by the Golden Grizzlies Oct. 1.
Programs from both schools have enjoyed success in recent years, with Oakland’s men’s team making its third trip to the Division I NCAA tournament in 2011, and the Titans getting there in 2012.
This season is going to be different for both schools, as Oakland’s move to the Horizon League means the Grizzlies and Titans will be competing for the same prize, namely a league championship and berth into the NCAA tournament.
The Titans are coming off a year that saw them go 20-13, with their season ending with a loss to Arizona State University in the opening round of the National Invitation Tournament (NIT). Oakland’s season was not one fans have become accustomed to in recent years, as the Golden Grizzlies finished with a 16-17 record and an opening-round loss to Youngstown State University in the CollegeInside.com Postseason Tournament.
The Titans’ women’s team ended their season on a positive note, defeating McNeese State University to win the Women’s Basketball Invitational championship, finishing their campaign with a 21-13 record. Oakland’s women’s team will try to recover from a 9-20 campaign and a season-ending loss to South Dakota State University in the quarterfinals of the Summit League Championship.
The men from UDM will open with an exhibition contest at 6 p.m. Oct. 26 against Lawrence Technological University at home. The Titans are scheduled to open their regular-season campaign Nov. 8 in a road game against the University of South Alabama. Game time was not available at press time. The home opener is 7 p.m. Nov. 11 against UM-Dearborn.
Oakland’s men’s team is scheduled to open in an exhibition game at 7 p.m. Oct. 29 against Tiffin University at home. Oakland will eventually move on to face teams such as the University of North Carolina, University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), the University of California-Berkley (Cal) and Gonzaga before returning home to face Rochester College in a game scheduled for 6 p.m. Nov. 30.
Oakland and UDM are scheduled to play 14 games between them on ESPN networks.
UDM’s women’s squad is scheduled to play an exhibition game at 7 p.m. Oct. 30 against Marygrove College at home. The Titans’ regular-season opener is scheduled for 7 p.m. Nov. 8 in a road game against Canisius College. The home opener is a doubleheader Nov. 11 against Lawrence Tech. The first game is scheduled for 5 p.m.
Oakland’s women’s team is scheduled to open at 2 p.m. Oct. 27 in a home game against Windsor. The Golden Grizzlies’ following game is 7 p.m. Nov. 9 at Indiana University.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- Brother Rice struggles in opener but earns split at Divine Child in Saturday baseball action - Birmingham
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak