Published March 27, 2013
Troy junior Christina Shabet claims Division 1 state title in gymnastics
By Mike Moore email@example.com Follow Mike on Twitter.
TROY — Devastation led to jubilation.
The agony of what was surely defeat gave way to a success she didn’t see coming.
And so went the 2013 Division 1 gymnastic finals for Troy High junior Christina Shabet.
“She hadn’t fallen all year during her beam routine,” coach Cynthia Tan said with a laugh. “It’s been her best event, and then she fell at the state finals.”
“It was terrifying. Not my best moment. I broke down,” Shabet said last week of her fall. “Once I composed myself, I just decided to go out and see what I could do with what I had left.”
Turns out she still had plenty to offer and will forever have the distinction of the 2013 all-around state champ to prove it.
“I didn’t even know it was still possible. I was shocked,” Shabet said of winning the D-1 title March 9 at Plymouth High. “I didn’t think I was going to, or even could, after falling. I was pretty surprised.”
Quite literally, Shabet picked herself up off the mat and got back to work.
In the end, she scored a 37.7, just enough to sneak past Coldwater’s Kylie Dudek, who finished with 37.5.
“There were so many strong girls there,” Shabet added. “I was shocked when I found out I won.”
She didn’t win any single event, put placed in the top seven in three of the four.
She scored a 9.4 on the vault, a 9.35 on the uneven parallel bars, a 9.2 on the beam, and then capped her day with a 9.75 in the floor exercise.
“It was like so much hard work paid off,” Shabet said of the title. She placed seventh a year ago at the finals. “It was an awesome experience.”
“She doesn’t like to lose at anything she does,” Tan said with a laugh. “She’s been All-State for two years, but we knew this could be the year she won it all.”
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- OAA boys basketball names honor teams - Oakland County
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak