Auburn Hills, Troy
Published November 8, 2013
Troy Athens volleyball downs Auburn Hills Avondale for title
By Christian Davis email@example.com Follow Christian on Twitter.
TROY — For the first time since 2005, the Troy Athens volleyball squad charged the gym floor as district champions.
The Red Hawks beat Auburn Hills Avondale 25-15, 24-26, 25-15, 25-15 Nov. 8 at home for the Class A title.
“We’ve had it in softball, but in volleyball we’ve always been underdogs. It feels fantastic to come out on top this year,” Athens senior Haley Zemmer said. “We all worked our butts off and kept our minds set on it.”
The Red Hawks' game plan was to keep the Yellowjackets away from the net. Athens coach Christine Stanichuk said she knows Avondale strikes quickly up front, and the goal was to send shots deep to take the Yellowjackets out of their rhythm.
“They are a force, so if you give it to them easy, they’ll deliver,” Stanichuk said of Avondale.
Yellowjackets coach Rosemary Motamedi said this was the program’s second district final in school history and that she was proud of her squad, which also won an Oakland Activities Association Blue Division title this year.
“We just didn’t communicate well tonight,” she said.
Athens now takes on Clarkston High at 7 p.m. Nov. 12 at Lake Orion High in a regional semifinal.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Brother Rice struggles in opener but earns split at Divine Child in Saturday baseball action - Birmingham
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- South Lake girls soccer coach hopes to keep league title streak alive - St. Clair Shores
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak