- Boys Football Dakota 27 Chippewa Valley 24 9/04
- Boys Football Southfield Lathrup 7 Royal Oak High 21 9/03
- Boys Tennis Troy Athens 5 Rochester 3 9/02
- Boys Tennis Fraser 6 Chippewa Valley 2 9/02
- Boys Soccer Rochester Adams 1 De La Salle 0 9/01
- Boys Soccer Brother Rice 2 Fenton 0 8/31
- Boys Soccer Macomb Dakota 1 Utica 0 8/31
- Boys Soccer Sterling Heights Stevenson 4 Grosse Pointe North 0 8/31
Grosse Pointes, Rochester Hills
Stoney Creek holds on late for 1-0 victory against Grosse Pointe North
September 5, 2013
Seventy-nine minutes of flawless execution on the defensive side for Stoney Creek was nearly wasted when the Cougars gave up a free kick with 30 seconds to go.
Grosse Pointe North's Don Robertson got the free kick past Stoney's defensive wall, but keeper Jacob Cowdrey was there to make the game-clinching save and secure a 1-0 win for the Cougars (6-2-2, 1-0-0 OAA Red).
"That's the scariest part, that's the scariest time in the game when you're kind of controlling play a little bit and you still only have one goal on the board, so hats off to Grosse Pointe North for their effort tonight," Stoney coach Adam Bican said.
In what started and ended as a defensive struggle, Stoney Creek took advantage of its best opportunity on the offensive end that came in the first half.
Senior Griffon Dean slipped past North's back line to chase down a pass with a full head of steam, and he earned a penalty kick after being fouled inside the box. Dean converted the penalty kick to give Stoney a 1-0 lead with 9:48 remaining in the first half.
The keepers from each side provided a steady last line of defense. North's Nathan Steinkampf finished with 10 saves to keep the Norsemen in the game. Cowdrey didn't have many opportunities for saves, but he earned the shutout against North with the final save on the free kick.
Stoney will travel to Rochester Adams on Tuesday, and Grosse Pointe North (2-2) will host Lakeview Friday evening.