- Boys Football Dakota 27 Chippewa Valley 24 9/04
- Boys Football Southfield Lathrup 7 Royal Oak High 21 9/03
- Boys Tennis Troy Athens 5 Rochester 3 9/02
- Boys Tennis Fraser 6 Chippewa Valley 2 9/02
- Boys Soccer Rochester Adams 1 De La Salle 0 9/01
- Boys Soccer Brother Rice 2 Fenton 0 8/31
- Boys Soccer Macomb Dakota 1 Utica 0 8/31
- Boys Soccer Sterling Heights Stevenson 4 Grosse Pointe North 0 8/31
WARREN — The Romeo High volleyball team downed Grosse Pointe North 2-0 to win the 2014 Macomb Area Conference Volleyball Kickoff Tournament, which took place Aug. 22 at Michigan Elite Volleyball Academy in Warren.
The Bulldogs bested Utica High in the semifinals, while the Norsemen beat Sterling Heights Stevenson to advance to the final match.
The 22-team tournament, featuring 18 teams from the C & G Newspapers coverage area, served as the official start to the 2014 season. Warren Cousino coach Eric Zwierzchowski said the tournament provides each competing team with a chance to show where it stands against some stiff competition, including Romeo High, which advanced to the state quarterfinals in 2013.
Divisional play begins Sept. 16. The state volleyball playoffs start Nov. 3, with the state finals set for Nov. 20-22 at Kellogg Arena in Battle Creek. Macomb Dakota (2012) is the last MAC team to win a state title. Other state volleyball champions from the MAC are Fraser High (2003, 2004), Marysville (1997-04, 2006) and Warren Cousino (1977, 1979).