Published July 18, 2014
Prep baseball players put on power display
By Jason Carmel Davis email@example.com Follow Jason on Twitter.
DETROIT — Prep baseball palyers showed off their power during the inaugural Muscle Milk Heavy Hitter Home Run Derby.
The event, hosted by Detroit Tigers second baseman Ian Kinsler — a Muscle Milk athlete — featured 10 athletes, most of whom graduated this spring and will play at the NCAA level. The two-round contest took place July 17 at Wayne State University. Prior to the start of the derby, participating players received instructional batting practice from Kinsler.
Plymouth Christian grad Dan Jipping launched 30 bombs in the final round to best Walled Lake Northern's Brennan Williams, who hit 11 blasts in the finals. Jipping and Williams will play at Central Michigan University and Eastern Michigan University, respectively.
To advance to the finals, Williams crushed 14 balls, while Jipping smoked nine. Pontiac Notre Dame Prep grad and University of Cincinnati commit Luke Shilling hit eight home runs to just miss the cut.
Also finding the seats were Sterling Heights Stevenson junior Brandon Williams (seven home runs), Warren De La Salle's Hosea Belson (Oakland University) and West Bloomfield High's Dazon Cole (Central Michigan) each hit five homers, Orchard Lake St. Mary's teammates Julian Jones (Arkansas Pine-Bluff) and Will Salter (Michigan State University) each hit three bombs, and Muskegon Catholic Central sophomore Jacob Holt hit one out.
Participants were selected through the Muscle Milk Heavy Hitters program, which weekly highlights outstanding hitters throughout the high school season.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak