Published November 15, 2013
Playoff Primer: Dakota, Cass Tech football teams set to clash in regional final
By Jason Carmel Davis firstname.lastname@example.org Follow Jason on Twitter.
DETROIT — The teams that have combined to claim four of the last seven Michigan High School Athletic Association Division 1 football state titles will clash when Macomb Dakota travels to take on Detroit Cass Tech in a 2013 MHSAA D-1 regional final set for 1 p.m. Nov. 16 at Cass Tech.
The winner of the bout will square off with Detroit Catholic Central in a D-1 state semifinal set for Nov. 23. The time of the matchup is yet to be determined.
The Cougars and Technicians each enter the contest at 11-0. Dakota comes in as the champion of the Macomb Area Conference Red Division, while Cass Tech won the Detroit Public School League West Division title.
The teams have met once before: in a 2010 D-1 regional final, which the Technicians took 31-19.
Cass Tech coach Thomas Wilcher after his team knocked off Warren Mott in a D-1 district final Nov. 9 said Dakota is a tough team that the Technicians will have to prepare well for.
Cass Tech, which has won the last two D-1 state titles, is 5-0 in its last five matchups against teams from Macomb County.
Dakota is looking for its first state semifinal appearance since 2007, when the Cougars won their second straight D-1 state title.
Both teams enter the contest sporting strong defenses. Dakota has allowed just 6.4 points in its 11 wins, while Cass Tech has surrendered only 5.9 points per contest. Dakota has allowed seven points or less seven times. Cass has surrendered a touchdown or less eight times.
The Cougars and Technicians have solid offenses, too, averaging 35.6 and 38.9 points per game, respectively.
Each team has been tested this season. Cass Tech is 8-0 against teams that qualified for the state playoffs, while Dakota is 5-0 in those contests.
For a full recap of the regional final, check www.candgnews.com the afternoon of Nov. 16.
For live updates on the contest, follow @CandGJDavis on Twitter.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak