Published April 5, 2013
Oakland Activities Association honors top hockey players for 2012-13
By Mike Moore email@example.com Follow Mike on Twitter.
The sun has returned, and for many, winter is a distant memory.
But for a select group of players who donned skates and sweaters during the cool months, the winter season was a chance to shine.
Now, coaches from the Oakland Activities Association recognized the best of the best, announcing the 2012-13 All-Association rosters.
Rochester United took home the Red Division crown with a 5-2-0 mark and also boasted the division MVP in Michael Pelino and the Goalie of the Year in Kyler Patenaude.
Farmington Hills Unified took second at 4-1-2, followed by Rochester Hills Stoney Creek (3-2-2), Clarkston High (3-2-2), Farmington High (1-3-3), Lake Orion High (1-3-3), Birmingham Unified (2-5-0) and Oxford High (2-4-1).
All-Association honors go to Pelino, Patenaude, Max Harper, Nick Marek and Kevin Kurzeja, Rochester; Reede Burnett, Eric Stanis, Thaddeous Zak and Eamon Devlin, Farmington United; Hayden Richardson, Chris Stanbury, Josh Niederhauser and Maxx Grant, Stoney Creek; Adam Johns, Garrett Polish and Jacob Lapotre, Clarkston; Cooper McLean, Nick Gensheimer and John Lethemon, Farmington; Brennen Orr and Connor Novack, Oxford; Ryan Szydlowski and Mark Nylen, Lake Orion; and Adam Susalla and Jacob Saroli, Birmingham.
When the season began, Berkley-Ferndale Unified coach Jeff Fleming wasn’t sure if his guys could duplicate last year’s success.
Well, they did.
The Bears rolled to a 10-2-0 record in the OAA White, watched as Joey Leider took home MVP honors and Stephen Wroe claimed Goalie of the Year, and nabbed their second straight division title.
West Bloomfield High took second at 8-3-1, followed by Bloomfield Hills United (4-5-3), Troy High (4-6-2), Royal Oak High (4-7-1), Auburn Hills Avondale (3-6-3) and Troy Athens (2-6-4).
All-Association honors go to Leider, Wroe, Robby Flannery, Zach Segall and Ian Melrose, Berkley; J.J. Bloom, Ellis Fried, Ryan Houle and Cody Jones, West Bloomfield; Chase Smith, Kevin Barnett, Johnny Artemenko and Nick Dingwall, Bloomfield; Colin McLean, Edmund Qiao and Joel Brodzinski, Troy; Kevin Trumble, Max Benoit and Evan Fall, Royal Oak; Craig Zimmerman and Emmett Wagner, Avondale; and Nathan Gurzell and Cory Faw, Athens.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- New Tower baseball coach sees potential in young team - Warren
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Eisenhower lacrosse has sights set on another MAC Red title - Shelby Township
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak